Chapter 15- Stormy Talks

It started with a whisper
And that was when I kissed her
And then she made my lips hurt
I could hear the chit chat
Take me to your love shack
Mama's always gotta back track
When everybody talks back
Hey honey, you could be my drug
You could be my new prescription
Too much could be an overdose
All this trash talk make me itchin'
Oh my, my shit
Everybody talks, everybody talks
Everybody talks, too much
-Everybody Talks • Neon Trees

For two weeks it had been stormy, and for two weeks, the Dawn Treader had been stuck in its midst.

     The deep blue seas mirrored the skies as waves crashed overboard. The rain fell from the heavens in a never ending cycle, and James was unsure that it was ever going to end. He had given up standing above deck, mainly due to the amount of times he had to change his clothes so he wouldn't catch a cold.

     At this point, very little had changed. Most days were spent with Caspian in the navigation room, looking through the windows, and cuddling beside a fire. It was romantic, to an extent, and sometimes their alone time was more racy than expected. However, nothing ever dissevered the emotional connection the two of them had.

     Nothing could.

     It was some time in the night when they seemed to congregate in the navigation room. They hadn't expected it to happen, which was why James was still dressed in his undergarments, and tucked beneath the arm of Caspian. The raging storm made him feel fragile, and Drinian's moaning didn't help that.

     The ramblings of the Captain were heard by the three Kings as Lucy was sleeping. Otherwise, they would've had both her and Harvey there; the latter wanted to work above deck with Tavros.

     "So we're stuck here." Drinian stated, sending yet another punch into James' chest (metaphorically, of course). Caspian just used his fingers to comb through his blonde locks in hope that it would ease his mind. "At half rations, with food and water for two more weeks, maximum. This is your last chance to turn back, Your Majesties. There's no guarantee we'll spot the Blue Star anytime soon. Not in this storm. Needle in a haystack, trying to find this Ramandu place."

  "Please stop being so pessimistic." James bargained politely, hoping it might persuade Drinian to quieten. He wasn't in the mood for it. All he wanted was to go to sleep in Caspian's arms. "It's quite soul crushing."

  "We could sail right past it..." continued the captain. "and off the edge of the world."

  "Or get eaten by a sea serpent." Edmund chimes in, which seemed to be the last straw for James.

  "Anytime anyone mentions water!" He exclaimed, preparing himself to stand before Caspian pulled him back down. They shared a knowing look, and with the raise of an eyebrow, James felt his heart beat in an irregular way.

     Why did Caspian seem to know what to do?

     "Oh, sea serpents." James mocked, sarcastically. "Just don't."

     There was a crackle of the thunder, booming loudly, lightning following in its footsteps for the thirtieth time. James flinched. He hadn't meant to... it just sort of happened.

     "I'm just saying the men are getting nervous." Drinian attempted to back up his words. "These are strange seas we're sailing, the likes of which I've never seen before."

  "Then, perhaps, Captain," Caspian stood up, intimidating Drinian on purpose. He left James shivering on the leather window seat, confused. "you would like to be the one to explain to Mr. Rhince that we're abandoning the search for his family."

  "I'll get back to it." The Captain said, afraid, quickly putting on his coat. "just a word of warning. The sea can play nasty tricks on a crew's mind. Very nasty."

    It took a short while for Edmund to make his excuses, but eventually he did. He was going to see Harvey, and see if he could help, which was good for James and Caspian. The two were finally able to be alone once again.

     "Do you really think there is a Blue Star?" James asked, tucking himself beneath Caspian's arm once again. The feeling was the only home sense he had anymore.

  "I do." Said the Telmarine, kissing his forehead, eyes closed. "Do you?"

  Without any real conviction, the blonde replied. "I suppose so. I wouldn't want this to be for nothing."

  "It would never have been for nothing. I found you on this journey, and that is the greatest discovery I could wish for."

• - - •
802
• - - •

Disclaimer!!!!
I don't own anything to do with the Narnia book series or film trilogy. These predominantly belong to C.S. Lewis. However, I do own James Pevensie, Alfie and Harvey Gallagher, and their respective alterations to the storyline.