Insecure Love (SS)

Introduction:
Y/N is Severus' girlfriend. One day while he's at a staff meeting, she decides to surprise him by cleaning up in his private chambers. Will their relationship change when she finds a photograph of Lily Potter under his bed?

PS: This is a request from Zyfe on AO3 / zyfe4 on Tumblr.

Word count: 1.4k

Published: 4/4/2022
———————————————

Author's note:
By the way, I will post a one shot every Monday instead of Sunday from now on! 😇 I hope you enjoy!
———————————————

TW: Angst (happy ending, though!)

Y/N is in Severus Snape's private chambers in Hogwarts, cleaning up before he returns from a staff meeting.

She knows how much these meetings stress the Potions Master out, so she has decided to help keep his place neat and tidy for when he gets home. Hopefully it will make him a little less stressed when looking at a clean place instead of a place in total chaos.

"Total chaos" might be a bit of an exaggeration, but still.

She first starts with the small kitchen and living room. Once everything is spotless and looks much better, she tackles his bedroom.

Once she enters, she can't help but smile as the first thing she spots is a picture of Severus and her. He was really reluctant at first, but she's so glad that she convinced him to be in the picture.

She and Severus have been together for almost eight months. She couldn't ask for anyone better - he might be mean and sarcastic, but deep down, there's a loving and kind man.

Smiling to herself, she starts cleaning the room. As she does so, she finds a picture hidden under the bed. She raises an eyebrow in confusion. Why would he hide a picture?

She slowly grabs the photograph and turns it around. Now she's even more confused - in the photograph is Lily Potter. It looks like somebody else was originally next to her, but they have been ripped off.

Y/N has never felt this confused before. Why does Severus have a picture of Harry Potter's deceased mother?

She thinks about it for a while. They were friends when they were younger. He was always together with her until she ended their friendship...

Realisation suddenly hits her. Severus must have been in love with her.

Could he still be after all these years? Why else would he have a picture of her?

She starts feeling rather insecure. If he still has a picture of her and still loves her... Does that mean he doesn't love Y/N? What if he never has?

She tries her best not to let her tears fall. If he really doesn't love her, then they wouldn't be together, right?

Unless Y/N is just here for convenience, for emotional support? A fix to a broken heart that has never moved on?

She falls down to the floor, allowing herself to cry.

"What if he never loved me?" she whispers to herself, sobbing.

After crying for a few minutes, she wipes away her tears before putting the picture back where she found it.

She won't tell him, she can't tell him. Neither that she found the picture nor about her feelings.

Unless she should? He might break up with her, though. Unless he was going to do that anyway?