Shock and Delight

There will forever be just two words that come to this author's mind the morning after any good party, "shock" and "delight." Well, dear reader, the scandalous accounts from last night's soiree at Vauxhall are quite shocking and delightful indeed. Emerging, phoenix-like from the ashes of irrelevance, is one Daphne Bridgerton. The illustrious debutante was seen dancing not once, but twice with the season's most eligible and most uncatchable rake, the Duke of Hastings.

Alina sat on one of the swings that hung behind the Bridgerton home, rocking herself back and forth deep in thought. She hadn't slept much the night before as the realization had hit her harshly. I am with child. The thought that in just a few short months she would have to care for a baby with a man who barely seemed to tolerate her was quite hard to swallow. Sure, she could have been in a worse situation, she could have been married to a man who hit her or not even be married in the first place and be ruined in everyone's eyes. "My lady, the Dowager Viscountess, requests your presence in the drawing room." Alina looked up from her blue slippers and nodded. She had apologized to Marie last night and the blonde had been sure to stay as close to Alina's side as she could, providing the support the expecting mother would need. Alina stood and led the way into the manor.

"Ah, there you are my dear." Violet said after a quick hug. Alina took a seat on the opposite couch of Colin and Benedict. Alina picked up her mother's book and opened it to her latest page.

"What is in that book, Lina? You always seem to carry it with you. Is it your diary?" Colin asked playfully. Alina laughed softly.

"Unfortunately my life isn't quite exciting enough to keep a diary. However, if I do decide to start writing one, you will be the first name I mention." Colin grinned and nudged Benedict.

"See? I told you I was liked more than you." Benedict nudged him back, slightly harder but still playful.

"The only reason she would write about you would be to talk about your lack of wins in fencing." Alina went back to her book, making sure to keep the conversation going if someone had included her or asked her a question. The latest topic of conversation was Daphne's time with the duke.

"Two dances? With a duke?" Hyacinth asked loudly.

"Oh, he was quite taken with your sister, Hyacinth. The entire party was, for that matter. All eyes were on Daphne. At least enjoy some toast, dearest." Violet said, offering Daphne some food while she sat playing the pianoforte.

"I am not hungry mama."

"Are you certain the entire party was not simply eyeing a tear in her dress?"

"Or a misstep she took on the dance floor?" Colin and Benedict asked, their teasing tones lifting Alina's spirits. However, Violet chose to ignore her sons and their antics and focused on the matter at hand.

"I do wonder, Daphne, might we count on the duke at the Crawford ball?" The mother asked.

"I should think it a fair chance."

"What about the Ramsbury ball, Friday?" Violet tried again. "And what about the grand picnic?"

"We shall see, mama." Alina chuckled as she took a sip from her tea watching the interaction. Everything had been fun and peaceful that afternoon when Eloise had marched into the drawing room.

"How does a lady come to be with child?" ELoise asked suddenly, shocking the whole room into silence. Daphne had quickly stopped playing and turned to look at her younger sister.