CHAPTER TWO: THE CRIMELORD

My eyes strain as they attempt to read the messy code that Nick had sent. He said it was his attempt, but I don't even know how it could've possibly ran without crashing the game. I start up a new document, completely disregarding his attempt. No offense to Nick of course. I just want the game to actually work.

I write the sections that I know will be easy for a little bit. It doesn't show any big differences for the game yet, but it's most definitely a start.

I sigh after about an hour and lean back in my chair. My eyes find their way to a simple black picture frame on my desk. It contains a picture of younger me and another girl named Maggie. We're sitting on top of her older brother's red truck. You can see in the right hand corner that he's coming out of the house and yelling at us about scratching it.

"y/n." The door to my room opens and reveals my roommate Gemma. "Do you want sushi?"

I think for a moment, but I feel full from the bowl of cereal I ate a couple hours ago. "I'm good but get me a soda."

She nods once before turning back to her own room, leaving my door slightly cracked.

"Gemma!" I yell loudly so she could hear even if she put her headphones on.

I can hear stomping before she reappears for just a second. "You're high maintenance, you know that?" she asks before shutting the door.

"You love me though!" I smile before turning back to the computer. I'm just about to start my next line when my phone rings.

I roll my eyes when I see it's Nick calling. He's going to make me regret giving him my number, isn't he?

"Hello?" I say once I answer.

"Hey, how's the coding going?" he asks immediately.

"Well it's only been a day since you explained it, so I'm not very far yet," I explain. "Do you need it done sooner rather than later?"

He thinks for a moment. "Um, no I don't think so. I just wanted to know how it's going."

"I just finished the basics, but it's nothing you can really see in-game yet." I tap my fingers on my desk as my eyes scan the lines of code.

"Was my code helpful?" he asks hopefully.

I chew on the inside of my cheek, thinking of a way to word it. "It was... It showed.. It showed me the direction you wanted it to go in."

"So no?" He laughs a little.

I shake my head to nobody but myself. "Not one bit, no."

"Oh well." He sounds like he was stretching. "So if I were to tell someone that's a coder that the basics were done, it would make sense?"

I furrow my brow. "Do you know another coder?"

He hesitates, realizing what he just said. "No?"

"That sounded more like a question, Nick." I laugh a little at his awkwardness. "Why do you need me if you already know a coder?"

He sighs in what sounds like defeat. "Well if you must know, I need my coder friend to kind of, sort of think that this is my code. Is that okay?"

"So you were going to take my work and claim it as your own?"

"I was going to ask first."

I think for a moment before remembering the money. Yes, I am in it for the money, and you would be too if you were a broke bitch.

"That's fine." I shrug. "You said you were proving a point?"

"Mhm." He hums, sounding distracted by something else at the moment.

"Can I ask what it is?" I lean forward on my desk, curious to why he would need my code to prove some sort of point.

"Sorry, I really can't tell you that." He sighs once again.

Who is this guy? What kind of guy with a lot of money and a point to prove is looking for a Minecraft coder?

I'm not sure I want to find out, but I guess I have to know one thing.

"Are you a murderer?" I ask in all-seriousness.

"What?"

"Just tell me, man." I sigh, hoping I'm not working for someone in the Mafia or something. "Are you going to kill or harm someone in any way, shape or form?"

He laughs a little. "No, why would you think that?"

"I just don't want to work for a crime lord is all." I say casually now. 

"Did you think that I was a crime lord?" he asks, realizing what I was saying. 

"W- What?" I sputter. "I would never

I totally thought it for a second.

"You give me murder podcast vibes," Nick think aloud.

"Oh really?" I hum in response. "How so?"

"I'm not sure." He sighs before asking yet another question, "Do you watch YouTube?"

I laugh at the randomness of the question. "Sometimes, yeah. Why?"

"What kind of videos?"

I have to think for a moment. I'm really more of a TV show and movie kind of person in all honesty. "I don't watch it a lot, but I do like those one cat videos."

"That's it?" He sounds almost disappointed in my choice.

"Is something wrong with that?" I ask.

"No, not at all," he says, "There's just some good crime things on there."

I laugh. "Thanks for the advice, but is that all you needed?"

"Think so." He shifts on his end of the call. I'll talk to you later."

I say goodbye and hang up the phone with a sigh, looking back to the picture frame.

"I have a good feeling about this one, Maggie."

AUTHOR'S NOTE:

wow wonder who this point needs to be proven to haha

hope you all are enjoying! have an amazing day!