Part 5

"I know it has been a testing few weeks..."

"A testing few weeks?!" John's rage made me take a step back. "We're no closer at killing the demon than we were six months ago."

"If you didn't waste your time doing your best to break my..."

"I don't give a crap about your rules. Sammy called and..."

"Yeah, I've noticed you don't care." I kept my voice calm and collected. "Look, I don't give to shits if your sons left another voicemail crying about how they need their father for a case. I've kept tabs on them, and they've been doing fine. They'll handle it."

Something flashed by in John's eyes, and I took another step back when I realized it was hate.

"Dean's dying." His voice was lower than I'd ever heard, dangerous, and filled with pain. It felt like I was slapped in the face.

"John..." I took a step closer, raising a hand to put on his shoulder, but he turned his back to me and rubbed his eyes, and I dropped my hand to the side. "I didn't know. I'm sorry."

"Yeah." He sniffed, and when he turned back, his long, dark lashes were coated in tears. I shifted between my feet, unsure of what to do. My mind raced with different scenarios, and I felt an oncoming headache. John sat down by the table.

"I'm sorry, John. We can't go." The look he gave me was filled with spite. "I'd rather have you hate me than have you and both your sons dying because I wasn't careful."

"I need to leave." John stood up and grabbed his jacket. I didn't say anything, but when he walked up to the door, he turned around and looked at me. "I don't know when I'll be back."

"We need to leave in the morning." The reminder seemed cruel. He nodded and walked out, closing the door behind him. For a second, I just sat there in silence.

I remembered his oldest son's surprised look when he found me on Missouri's couch. His bright eyes, that smirk he clearly had inherited from his father. It didn't seem possible that that man was dying.

I pulled out my computer, and it didn't take me long to find one of the boy's aliases in a hospital insurance case. This time, I didn't laugh as I read the name they used but instead hacked into the patient file.

"Okay, Mr. Burowitz. What seems to be the problem," I hummed under my breath as I scanned the documents—putting a hand over my mouth as I found the answer to my question. Heart attack due to electrocution. His heart was damaged. He'd have a few weeks, tops. "Fuck."

I bit on a nail as I contemplated my next steps. Taking John was not an option. Then I decided. I reached down my bag and pulled up my phone. I stared at it for a second, knowing that what I was about to do could get someone killed. Some random stranger who didn't deserve to die. It would be cold and unforgiving, and it would be my fault.

The buttons on the phone felt unfamiliar to my fingers. I only used it when I had to and never when working. The phone didn't have any saved numbers, but I knew Calebs like the back of my hand. It only took two rings for him to pick up.

"Hello?"

"Hey, it's me."

"Willow? Are you okay? Are you hurt?" I imagined the hunter staring with wide eyes, wondering why the hell I was calling.

"I'm fine," I assured him. "I'm actually calling to ask if you've heard from John's kids?"

"Yeah, I've..." He cleared his throat. "Sam called and told me about Dean. Wondered if I knew anything that could help."