Elfhame (Part Two): Cardan's Delivery Service

𝐲𝐨𝐮𝐫 𝐯𝐨𝐭𝐞𝐬 & 𝐜𝐨𝐦𝐦𝐞𝐧𝐭𝐬 𝐚𝐫𝐞 𝐭𝐡𝐞 𝐜𝐚𝐟𝐟𝐞𝐢𝐧𝐞
𝐭𝐡𝐚𝐭 𝐤𝐞𝐞𝐩𝐬 𝐭𝐡𝐢𝐬 𝐬𝐭𝐨𝐫𝐲 𝐛𝐫𝐞𝐰𝐢𝐧𝐠 ☕

⋆ ⋅ ⋆ ⋅ ⋆

𝐢 𝐰𝐚𝐬 𝐠𝐨𝐢𝐧𝐠 𝐭𝐨 𝐚𝐩𝐨𝐥𝐨𝐠𝐢𝐬𝐞 𝐟𝐨𝐫 𝐡𝐨𝐰 𝐥𝐨𝐧𝐠 𝐢𝐭 𝐢𝐬, 𝐛𝐮𝐭 𝐭𝐡𝐞𝐧 𝐈 𝐫𝐞𝐦𝐞𝐦𝐛𝐞𝐫𝐞𝐝 𝐲𝐨𝐮 𝐠𝐮𝐲𝐬 𝐚𝐫𝐞 𝐯𝐞𝐭𝐞𝐫𝐚𝐧𝐬 𝐚𝐧𝐝 𝐢𝐭 𝐦𝐢𝐠𝐡𝐭 𝐢𝐧𝐬𝐮𝐥𝐭 𝐲𝐨𝐮 ; )

𝐠𝐞𝐭 𝐜𝐨𝐬𝐲, 𝐬𝐭𝐚𝐲 𝐡𝐲𝐝𝐫𝐚𝐭𝐞𝐝 𝐚𝐧𝐝 𝐟𝐞𝐞𝐥 𝐟𝐫𝐞𝐞 𝐭𝐨 𝐥𝐢𝐬𝐭𝐞𝐧 𝐭𝐨 𝐭𝐡𝐢𝐬 𝐦𝐢𝐧𝐢 𝐩𝐥𝐚𝐲𝐥𝐢𝐬𝐭 𝐈 𝐦𝐚𝐝𝐞 𝐟𝐨𝐫 𝐭𝐡𝐞 𝐜𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝐰𝐡𝐢𝐥𝐞 𝐲𝐨𝐮 𝐫𝐞𝐚𝐝: 𝐡𝐭𝐭𝐩𝐬://𝐭𝐢𝐧𝐲𝐮𝐫𝐥.𝐜𝐨𝐦/𝟒𝐳𝐧𝟒𝟐𝟓𝐚𝐰

𝐩𝐥𝐞𝐚𝐬𝐞 𝐬𝐡𝐨𝐰 𝐬𝐨𝐦𝐞 𝐞𝐱𝐭𝐫𝐚 𝐥𝐨𝐯𝐞 𝐭𝐨 𝐭𝐡𝐞𝐬𝐞 𝐞𝐥𝐟𝐡𝐚𝐦𝐞 𝐜𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫𝐬, 𝐭𝐡𝐞𝐲'𝐫𝐞 𝐚 𝐥𝐚𝐛𝐨𝐮𝐫 𝐨𝐟 𝐥𝐨𝐯𝐞 𝐛𝐮𝐭 𝐲𝐨𝐮𝐫 𝐫𝐞𝐚𝐜𝐭𝐢𝐨𝐧𝐬 𝐫𝐞𝐚𝐥𝐥𝐲 𝐤𝐞𝐞𝐩 𝐦𝐞 𝐠𝐨𝐢𝐧𝐠 <𝟑

⋆ ⋅ ⋆ ⋅ ⋆

It began in the Undersea

A distant hum of energy that became infinitely clearer the moment Cardan emerged from the skin of the serpent. Then, it had become less of a hum, more of an all-consuming feeling that came and went until, very recently, it fell absolutely silent. As though whatever it was had just... given up.

He'd mistaken it for homesickness at first.

A tug of the heartstrings. The sweet ache of nostalgia tinged with the quiet knowledge that he was somehow incomplete.

In her many poetic biographies, Mab described it as The Call.

They learned a little of it at school in their obligatory studies of her history. The lecturer disregarded The Call as merely a lyrical device. A tool of poetry. A concept too abstract for a tired educator to explore with a pack of spoiled gentry brats.

The Call.

That term made good sense now. Fit the feeling like a unicorn leather glove.

Eldred never mentioned The Call. Odd, no? To be fair, the High King never left Elfhame long enough to sense its gentle thrall. He was always near to his homeland, as though being separated from it might drain the very life from him. "Symbiotic suffering" as Jude would call it. The land needed a king or queen as much as the king or queen needed the land.