Chapter 9: Life in the North

Early the next morning, Iroh and Chiara left their quarters to meet with Master Pakku, the waterbending instructor. The two warriors who were assigned to them took them to the master's quarters. When they entered, Pakku stood up to meet his guests. Chiara thought he looked quite the opposite of Iroh. His tall, thin build contrasted with the general's shorter, and now heavier, frame. His pale blue eyes were crowned by white eyebrows that matched his white hair, and she wondered if they ever relaxed from the piercing glare he was giving them.

Iroh paid no attention to the harsh, icy look the man gave him.

"Master Pakku," he greeted him merrily as he and Chiara bowed to him.

Chiara wanted to giggle at Iroh's cheerfulness.  She was sure he filled his greeting with far more cheer than he usually would just to offset the irascibility of their host.

"I am Iroh and this is Lady Chiara..."

"Yes, I know who you are," Pakku interrupted curtly.

Iroh's pleasant disposition never wavered amid Pakku's animosity. "We've been sent to you to request waterbending training for Chiara."

"Do you know nothing of our customs?" the master asked in a condescending tone.

"I'm afraid I do not," said Iroh calmly.

"Then let me enlighten you. It is forbidden for women to learn waterbending."

"I don't believe I ever heard of men-only waterbenders," said Iroh.

"Women waterbenders learn to heal from Yagoda," said Pakku.

"But what about Avatar Kyoshi and Avatar Yangchen?" asked Chiara.

He turned his pale blue eyes to her. "Are you the Avatar?" he asked rudely.

"Not that I'm aware of, sir," she answered simply.

Iroh held back a chuckle at her answer. "Thank you for enlightening us, Master Pakku," he said politely. "Where do we find Master Yagoda?"

"Yagoda is in the healing hut."

They bowed again and walked with the warriors to the healing hut where they entered to see an elderly woman preparing for her class.

"Are you Master Yagoda?" asked Iroh.

"I am. You must be General Iroh of the Fire Nation," she said, her voice lacking any of the hostility of Pakku.

Iroh smiled. "I see the news travels fast here."

"And this is the young waterbender?" she asked stepping closer to study her.

"This is Lady Chiara," introduced Iroh.

"Master Yagoda," said Chiara as she bowed to her. She was relieved to find that Yagoda was far more welcoming than Pakku.

"Clearly you've shown signs of waterbending if you came all this way to be trained."

"Yes, Master Yagoda," answered Chiara.

"Have you had any formal training?"

"I have not."

"Have you ever healed any wounds?"

"Yes," she answered softly. There was a sadness in her voice that Yagoda did not catch, but Iroh knew she was reminded of the victim of the lightning strike.

"Since you've had no formal training, we'll start with the basics."

Chiara nodded her head. "I understand."

"I am quite curious," started Iroh, "Chiara has shown some skill in healing others, but she is unable to heal her own wounds."

Yagoda considered her thoughtfully before finally speaking. "Let me see your hands," she said to her.