Heartglass 25: Shattered

AZALEA

I had been thinking about the curse for the past few days. About those images and visions I had seen. What if Celeste and I were really connected? What if I was her reincarnation? Should I really sacrifice myself? For the greater good? Well, I was not that noble. I was not a martyr to end my life.

I wanted to live despite this heart made of glass. Despite how miserable my life could become.

But what if my deductions were all wrong? What if I just inherited some of her soul fragments and we were not really the same person? What if I decide to sacrifice myself and die in vain? What if I was not the answer to the curse?

Everything was so complicated because I felt like there was no right answer to this problem.

I sipped from my teacup. This time a black tea was served for us. I silently sat on the couch as my mind wandered somewhere else despite having the queen's presence. Queen Adriana summoned us to her tea room to spend some time with her.

I even felt that I already had those dark circles under my eyes. I was also concerned about the assassination that sometimes I couldn't sleep soundly. Afraid that someone was after my life again. What if the mastermind sends another assassin to kill me?

I had a lot going on inside my head and my head throbbed a little. I was overthinking and blood repeatedly visited my dreams.

I was brought back to reality when the queen finally spoke and broke the silence.

"You all did well with the charity banquet and the palace received some letters from the charities expressing how they appreciate your efforts. They are all delighted with the amounts they received and the money was used for their winter needs. Since you're all doing well with the trials, it will be hard to choose the next queen. I hope Dion chooses the most outstanding lady to rule this kingdom without being impartial. Without his feelings getting in the way. So are you spending enough time with the Crown Prince?" she asked as she rested on that red fluffy cushion with an overbearing presence and gorgeous appearance. Her stunning blue eyes scanned all of us with the back of her hand placed under her chin.

This time her hair was tied into a half-ponytail, letting most of her hair down. Some light blue jewelries were pinned on her hair and she looked so ethereal with the cold demeanor emanating from her face and cold gaze.

I was wearing a light pink dress with a thick coat. Normally, people won't dress in pink because this represents the color of love but I just wanted to provoke the mastermind behind the assassination.

I couldn't read Lady Candice. Lady Candice seemed indifferent about my presence. She didn't seem concerned about me. She was acting so natural that I couldn't discern her real intentions. Now I was doubting if Prince Dion's analysis should be taken seriously. What if he was wrong? What if it was actually someone else? What if we miss the real culprit?

Lady Candice seemed normal whenever she crossed paths with me. Or maybe she was just good at hiding things? Damn! I wish I could read minds!

The ladies were quiet for a while but the three ladies nodded.

"Prince Dion visits the Ruby Palace more often and sometimes, he is sending a servant to invite me for a walk. He is being a gentleman, Your Majesty. My time spent with him is precious and lovely," Lady Candice answered with a small and reserved smile.

Lady Shirdine blushed a little. She spoke in a very soft voice. "He often visits me. And I really enjoyed talking to him. Most times, we discuss the paintings I worked on. He is very patient and he is someone who always listens, Your Majesty. I know sometimes I can be boring but I am glad there is someone who listens to my blabber," she said with a small and innocent smile.