Chapter 9

Flashback: Lyndda and Lynor

In the era, full of bell bottoms and platforms that were the craze at the time. The home computer was just invented for the "everyday people" . The thick air was full of musk, gasoline, and linoleum. It was also a time full of racial tensions, bigotry, segregation, and protests. Change was always happening around the corner. It was never a dull moment. Well change seems to always follow Lyndda whether or not she wanted it to....

        On July 23rd in 1970, Lyndda was sunbathing at the Jazz festival when a tall gentleman walked up and said "ma'am, this is my spot. The ticket says north lot, part A, section 5."

       Lyndda sarcastically said "what.. Are you going to take it from me? Look... I'll scoot over a little and we can share. It's more than enough room for both of us. Umm what's your name?"

         He looked at her and annoyingly replied "Lynor.... And I did not buy a ticket to share my spot so please leave."

        Lyndda muttered "fine, but word of advice, stop being so stiff! You won't get anywhere with that personality. Also my name is Lyndda."

            Lynor scoffed and said "well thankfully I don't have to try to get anywhere since my family already accomplished that..... Look, do I have to call the cops on you?"

       Lyndda gave him a disgusting look and said "this is why I don't like coming to these events because of the privilege pampering little boys. Don't worry, I'm leaving you to your little Jazz concert....BUT I would like to say this."

          Lynor gave her an annoying look and uttered "go on."

       Lyndda took a deep breath and said "it's because of families like you, the system is the way it is now. You act like your family actually did hard labor to get to this point...No, it was because of the enslaved people that was forcibly taken from their homeland."

       Lynor laughingly replied "wait, don't tell me you're one of THOSE PEOPLE...look, I did not enslave nobody. I can't go back in time and tell my great- great-grandfather to let the slaves go." Lyndda took a deep breath and gave him a piece of paper with an address on it.

       She confidingly muttered "if you want to learn how to help the black people, then come to this rally...your little brain might grow an inch, if you listen, but don't take this as a joke..it involves people's lives and some people aren't living as good you."

         Lynor looked at the paper and mockingly said " you mean as well as me... some people aren't living as well as me." Lynor smiled and laid on the grass while Lyndda blazed through the exit sign of the Jazz concert.

        A week later, Lynor was eating breakfast while his father came in with a cup of coffee. His father nonchalantly asked "son, how are you?"

     Lynor looked up and said "doing good dad." He looked at the piece of paper that Lyndda gave him.

       His father looked at him and asked "what's that?"

       Lynor hesitantly replied "Um, someone wants me to go see a protest on Friday. It's in front of the bank." He sees his father furrowed his brows and asked "what's wrong?"

        His father looked him in the eyes and said "son, don't waste your time on trivial things. Soon those people will be behind bars asking for a plea deal."

         Lynor looked at his father questionably and asked "what did those people do to end up behind bars...aren't they just asking for equal rights?"