Twenty Two - The Letter

The entire evening I had been consumed by nerves. I had not seen Anthony since arriving at the house, nor Daphne. I had been thinking of different explanations for what we had witnessed just a couple of hours before, desperately trying to figure out what was to be the result.

Was Daphne to marry the Duke?

Or worse... Would scandal scathe the Bridgertons?

Unable to settle that night, I found myself tossing and turning under the soft silk sheets. The dark room only lit by a sliver of light peaking through from the gap under the door.

Staring at the ceiling lost in thought, I heard the rustle of paper and a shadow cast over the floor from the doorway. Turning my head toward the door, I saw what looked to be an envelope on the floor. Confused, I made my way over to the door and picked it up. I opened the door to see who had delivered it, but found no one. Whoever it had been, had left in a hurry.

Elizabeth

I opened the letter frantically, worried as to its contents, I could not bare anymore bad news.

My dearest, most beloved Elizabeth,

My eyes widened as I continued to read the letter.

By morning when you are no doubt reading this, I regretfully will no longer be home. After the evenings events, I was given no choice but to challenge the Duke of Hastings to a duel. My probability of success in such a task is undoubtedly slim and I will either be dead or leaving the country by the time you read this letter.

For this reason, I cannot with a clear conscious seal my fate without unburdening my heart, and revealing myself to you. God knows I am not well versed in the language of love. I know I have been a very indifferent lover but not once in all my thirty years, have I ever felt love for someone so true, until you.

All those years ago when we were mere children, I was enchanted by your presence. Your laughter was infectious and my own fathers spirits brightened when you would visit. My entire family has held you in high regard ever since our infancy.

I still remember when you saw that butterfly in the garden struggling to take flight due to a hurt wing. You were inconsolable and I stayed with you for the entire afternoon.

The memory flashed before me and I remembered his boyish grin as he tried to cheer me up by making me laugh.

I look back on that day often, the moment when I finally made you smile. That smile is forever imprinted in my memory. A vision of tear soaked cheeks and red puffy eyes, and yet the most beautiful smile I had ever seen. It is my reminder that in spite of this cruel world, there is immense beauty to be found.

You must believe me when I tell you, you are the only lady I have ever loved - the only lady I will ever love.

You are what tethers me to this world. You are my gravity.

When I feel like I am slipping away into the darkness, or losing my way, I always gravitate back to you, you are the light that brightens my way, leading me home. When you are close, I feel safe. For the first time since my father passed, you made me feel secure, as if I could face anything with you by my side. When you are near, I feel as though the whole world is not crumbling around me. When everything becomes too much, you steady me. You will never know the great measure of power you possess over me.

It is with a heavy heart I write this letter.

Our goodbye.

If I must make one thing clear, it is that I long for you to be happy. I hoped, and prayed to all the stars that your future was with me, but alas, it is too late.

You deserve a happy life Elizabeth. Promise me you will live without fear and love without reservation. Find your happiness.

I have made arrangements to make sure you are safe and comfortable in my absence.

I wish we had more time, but I have loved you in this life and I vow to find and love you in the next.

Eternally yours,

Anthony

-

(A/N): I hope you enjoyed this chapter! Thank you so much for all the love and support on Gravity, it means the world to me, and I hope you love Anthony and Elizabeth as much as I do <3
Thank you all for reading! <3