Chapter 25- Choosing Friendships

I arrived at the ballroom, peering down from the short stairs that came right after the open french doors, safely secured by two footmen. The party was in full swing. People were mingling, talking, laughing, and eating. Beautiful dresses and decor were all over the place. The musicians, tucked in a corner, were still preparing their instruments, checking the list of music given to them, which meant that there was nothing taking the crowd away from a small talk.

Everyone was so concentrated on their enjoyment that very few noticed my arrival. I tried to see where Lady Di'Mello and Eloise were, but in the sea of people in front of me, it was a hard task, especially because the party extended to a rose garden outside as well. A garden that encircled the room from the outside and was visible by the gigantic windows on each side.

Giving up for now on finding lady Di'Mello, my attention focused on the enormous buffet table on the east side of the room. I needed food and energy to take me through the night. Besides, the table and its contents were much easier to locate. Determined, I went forward promptly, trying my hardest to not seem too desperate.

I stopped a few times to chat pleasantries with unknown guests, who caught me on my way. Thankfully, they took little time with me, though I was unsure if because I was not important enough to them or because the buffet, and its growing and appetizing smell, was too detracting to me.

I didn't see Lord Joshua or Lord Kristoff, but I felt watched. To the point of almost distraction. However, every time I felt pushed into an irrational instinct, I patted on my dress where my pistol was. The relief was instantaneous, though short-lived.

It didn't matter. I had arrived at the buffet, salivating and ready to attack the meat sandwiches.

"Lady Lucreatia."

Fuck.

I turned my head to the person who called me at the worst moment, trying to avoid scowling, as it was not proper.

There were two girls in front of me, one older than the other, though both were definitely older than me. I noticed they shared similarities, especially their crooked nose. The youngest, slightly in front, and most likely the caller, looked pleasant enough, except for the air of superiority ingrained in her features. As if she felt better than the rest and definitely better than me or her companion, who followed her behind.

She had barely opened her mouth, and I already had an unpleasant feeling rushing through my mouth.

The girl smiled, those fake smiles, meant just to be polite and to hide one's true self. A smile I mirrored while I waited for her to continue. I was not sure of her name and, to be honest, I could not care less.

Time passed and the more it did, the more her mouth trembled, and the more my grin beamed.

In the end, she lost her will to wait and said with a hand to her chest. "Oh, it's Lady Tate. And this is..." she waved gently at her companion. "My cousin, Lady Daniela."

They both gave me a small courtesy bow. One that I repeated.

I remained silent, infuriating Lady Tate, who continued to smile, though more and more forced. Lady Daniela just watched, puzzled at my behaviour.

"My lady, you look lovely this night." said Lady Tate, her voice turning to slither, almost like a snake.

A voice, I realized, sounded familiar, though I was sure I had never met her before.

"Thank you." I said, causing the girls to be more at ease.

They waited for a beat so I could give a similar compliment, yet I kept myself put. They were after something, and I had zero patience or will to entertain people with ulterior motives. Especially when hungry.