6

P.EVANS + J.POTTER

pt. 2/2

<6>
a not so nye kiss

      PETUNIA COULDN'T TELL IF IT was obvious that she was avoiding James — but as she made her way to the drinks once more, she was surprised to see him quickly go over to her — his lips in a tight line.

       "Tuna..." He started shortly, seeing as her eyes stayed focused on the alcohol in front of her, "I've tried to talk to you for.." He glanced down to his wrist, which held no watch, "twenty minutes," he sighed out, "And you have been walking away each time!"

       Petunia only sighed in response, offering out a now open bottle of beer. James took it hesitantly. And she grabbed her own.

      "Apologies," she spoke shortly, immediately hating the tone of her voice. "I'm sorry," she said softer, hiding the small glance she did at him, "I didn't realize," she lied.

and he noticed.

      "Petunia," He stated again, and her heart lurched at her full name. For some reason, she didn't like it.

she preferred Tuna.

       "James," She mocked back, and a look of mock hurt painted on his face.

it went quiet.

and james frowned.

       "What's wrong?" His tone went serious, and she was surprised by that. He was never serious around her.

She finally looked up at him.

        Petunia's eyes, matching his own, stared directly at each other. And much to her dismay, her cheeks grew pink at the close proximity.

         "Honestly," she spoke, almost breathlessly, "I don't know. I just feel weird."

he pushed up his glasses.

         "You are avoiding me because you feel weird?" He laughed. But as her face stayed the same, he stopped. James awkwardly coughed. "Why do you feel weird?"

petunia tensed at the question.

       Her mouth opened, then closed. Petunia furrowed her brows, deciding on her words. "My stom— chest. I, well I don't know," She stuttered out, being thankful to James, who stood there patiently. "I think I'm going through an internal battle," she tried again, "Where I feel things that I'm not used too."

"What does it feel like?"

        "I don't know," She answered honestly, "I've never felt it before, it's foreign to me."

James almost nodded, but he stopped himself.

       Like Petunia, he had an uncomfortable feeling form in his stomach every now and then.

and he didn't know what it was.

but he kinda liked it.

"How's Lily?"

He was surprised with that question.

        "Who? oh." He spluttered out, and he was surprised by his own words. James forgot about Lily.

Petunia was also surprised by this.

"Didn't you just go have a talk with her," She said nonchalantly. But as she now looked at Lily, Petunia noticed her once confident facade grew solemn.

"Uhm," he spoke quietly, joining Petunia's short look at the ginger, "Yeah, she wanted to talk. We did talk."

"About what?"

"Things.. feelings," He tried to explain, slightly feeling awkward, "She.. uhm, confessed something to me."

James waited for Petunia to say something. She stayed quiet.

"She told me she liked me," he tried to form a laugh, however, it came out more as a strained breath. "And honestly, if this was a few weeks ago, I probably would've been ecstatic."

"Yeah?" Petunia voiced, "What changed?"

James stayed quiet.

And in that moment, Petunia wished she could see what went on in his head. Because as his face continued to show different emotions and expressions, it was hard to read him.

"I think I just realized," He thought out, "that she isn't what I wanted," he paused, "sorry," James quickly added in, realizing that they were, in fact, talking about her sister.

Petunia let out a genuine smile

"it's okay"

And again, it remained quiet.

Or, as quiet as it could be, for that New Years Eve night. Since music continued to blare and chatter was still evident — both James and Petunia ignored all of that. And instead, they just stared at each other.

Only knowing each other for a short week, Petunia felt proud of herself for opening up to new people — making friends with ones she had learned to despise deep down. Petunia wasn't expecting to form relationships nor bonds in the past seven days. And as she let a small part of herself be opened up to this small group — a part of her felt a weight lift off her shoulders.

The boy in front of her, who has made her laugh more than she had in years, was now giving her his full attention — and as her heart raced against her chest, she wouldn't have it any other way.

but things still aren't perfect.

Because as the loud voices boomed into the air, counting down from twenty — James felt that twisted feeling in his chest as he stared down at her. And as Petunia stared back at him, feeling the familiar flutter of butterflies in her stomach, her eyes roamed to Lily — who was watching them closely.

The sister she had just bonded with, for the first time in years. Something that she nor Lily ever thought would happen so soon.

petunia, despite her feelings, didn't want to ruin that.

So, as the count got to three, Petunia stared up at James, who seemed slightly closer than before — and almost out of instinct, she felt herself lean forward. Right until Lily popped back into her mind.

petunia frowned

And guiltily, she stopped herself, hearing the number one being cheered just as she brought the drink up to her lips. Petunia mumbled,

"happy new years."

__
OKAY — i'm sorry, please hear me out, don't yell at me. of course we would love a new years kiss, right? but we need angst + they've only known each other for a week. (not to be a slowburn) i just want things in a timely manner!! ):
pt. 2/2
P.EVANS + J.POTTER