Chapter 16

Cassandra looked over her shoulder sat the others who were sleeping peacefully. He eyes rested on her brother and sister who were both sleeping next to each other. For a moment, she saw the two innocent faces of the two children back in the tower.

It was weird. To miss a time when one was locked away. But at least they had been safe. At least she could protect them there... No. They were never safe. Everything had been fake and they were in danger the entire time they were with her mother. And she was never able to protect them. She only thought she was, but her mother proved to her that she was never able to fend for herself of her siblings.

Years later and she still wasn't able to manage to protect them from the dangers of the world. The two things her mother was right about. The world was dark and cruel. And she would never be strong enough for it.

Cassandra: Guess we all are born with parts to play
Some of us are stars, and some are just in the way
I know I was meant for glory
But that's never what my story brings
And yet I keep on waiting

When you have the passion and the drive
You expect your moment center stage to arrive
I show up with heart a blazing
Ready to achieve amazing things
But I'm left waiting in the wings

I hear my cue
And yet I'm kept there, waiting
Know what to do
And still I stand there, waiting
It's always someone else who sings
While I'm left waiting in the wings

And so I keep on keeping on
My chances come and then I blink and they're gone
Always overlooked unfairly
While pretending that it barely stings
But it stings, yes it stings

And I'll shed no tears
I'll only keep on waiting
If no one cheers
Well, I can keep on waiting
Who cares how loud
The silence rings
You'll find me waiting in the wings

Cassandra froze upon hearing a growl. She could feel the presence of someone standing right behind her.

"You guys couldn't take a hint, Now I gotta finish you," Hector hissed.

"Let her go, Hector!" Adira ordered, drawing her sword.

Hector shrugged. "Meh." He shoved Cassandra out of his way before cutting down a tree to separate himself and Adira from the others. "Just so we won't be interrupted."

"Cass!" Rapunzel cried, running over to her sister.

"I'm fine," Cassandra grumbled. "I was supposed to be on watch and I still didn't see him coming!" She slammed her fist into the ground. "I knew this was a bad idea."

Adira's pained cry made them all stumble to their feet. They looked up at Hector who had his bearcats flanking either side of him. "I'm sorry it came to this sister. But I made a promise to our king," he whispered to himself.

Cassandra stood in front of Rapunzel. "Leave her alone!"

"Brave child. Stupid, but brave." Hector checked as he walked over to Varian's sleeping form. Somehow the ruckus hadn't woken him. He raised a sword over Varian.

"No!" Rapunzel used her hair to stop him from hurting her brother, but she couldn't make it stop his left hand.

Shing!

Hector's sword was blocked by Quirin's. "Have you gone insane!" Quirin raised his voice for the first time in their company, finally making Varian stir from his sleep. He gasped and backed up, but he didn't have much strength to do more than press his back against the log. "It's against our code to kill a child!"

"All that doesn't matter when I am the only one fulfilling Edmunds wishes. You both are traitors!"

"Maybe it's you that's a traitor, Hector. Not to Edmund, but to me. I never thought I'd have to protect my own son's life from you!"

Hector paused. He took a step back. "Why didn't you tell me that in the first place? He's your blood. Of course he can enter. But the rest have to go."

"But they're my family," Varian protested.

Hector raised a brow. He pointed a thumb at the others. "You've been busy, Quirin?"

Quirin facepalmed. "They're not blood related."

"Then they can't enter," Hector insisted.

"Hector, they're like us," Quirin tried.

"Then they can split up just fine," Hector retorted.

"You want to stop me-us-from going with my little brother?" Cassandra gripped her sword. "Then you're going to have to get through me first."

Hector looked at her. "Kay." He blocked her advances with ease. "You wanna try that again, well c'mon. Tell me, what are you waiting for?"

"Funny you should ask. You're not attacking," Cassandra pointed out.

"Fair." He kicked her in the stomach and she landed on the ground. He squatted and picked up her chin. "Listen kid I-Gothel?"

His eyes widened momentarily and Cassandra used the opportunity to throw dirt in his eyes. She grabbed his foot and shoved him off the edge.

"Cass!" Rapunzel warned.

Cassandra jumped at the last second to avoid getting tackled by Hector's pets. They fell down with their master.

"What is with that guy?" Cassandra asked. "How does he know my mother?"

Quirin looked over the edge. "He'll be fine. He wasn't the best at landing strategies, but he'll be fine."

"You didn't answer my question," Cassandra insisted.

"I've told you just about everything I know that I care to share. What or who my brother knows in the past twenty years is not something I've known. We've only occasionally visited."

"Fine," Cassandra muttered.

Adira climbed over the tree, rubbing the back of her head. "That's what happens when you try not to hurt someone with equal fighting abilities," she muttered. "I guess this is where we part ways. I'm going after Hector."

"Wait, he just tried to kill you," Rapunzel said.

"He's my brother. He wasn't trying to kill me. And I think there's some catching up me and Quirin needs to do. Let you know if we figure anything out about Gothel." Adira jumped.

"I suppose that means I'm supposed to follow," Quirin sighed. He nodded to them after looking over at Varian. Then he followed after his sister.

"Varian, are you alright?" Rapunzel helped him to his feet.

"Yeah. Just not the best thing to wake up to," he muttered.

"Cass, what about you?" She asked her sister.

"I'm fine. Let me grab something. You all get ready to leave," Cassandra replied.

"Ok."