27 - Siberia

Bucky and I grab a gun from my supply draw on the jet and meet Steve by the exit ramp.

"Do you remember that time we had to ride back from Rockaway Beach in the back of that freezer truck?" Steve laughs.

"Was that the time we used our train money to buy hot dogs?" Bucky asks.

"You blew three bucks trying to get that stuffed bear for a redhead," I join, "what was her name?"

"Dolores," Steve replies, "Bucky called her Dot."

"She's gotta be a hundred years old by now." Bucky laughs.

"Well, we almost are." I comment and the three of us chuckle before leaving the jet.

"Is this it?" Steve asks as we come to the main doors of the base.

"This brings back joyful memories." I sigh.

"Laurie."

"Hey, I'm being sarcastic."

The three of us enter the building and out of the snow. Bucky and I hold our guns ready as we follow Steve further into the base. We get into a metal elevator that takes us down into the lower floors. I take a deep breath before stepping out, remembering the traumatic moments that both Bucky and I had here. Steve opens the caged door at the bottom and follow Bucky and I up a flight of stairs.

Suddenly, we hear a thud from where we just came from and the three of us turn around quickly, all ready for another fight. The door opens and there stands Anthony Edward Stark in his Iron Man suit.

"You seem a little defensive." He says.

"It's been a long day." Steve replies, slowly approaching Tony. I lower my gun and follow him, while Bucky stays on the stairs.

"At ease, Soldier," Tony says to Bucky, "I'm not currently after you."

"Why are you here?" I question.

"Hello to you too, Emerson," Tony sighs, "it could be that your story isn't so crazy. Ross has no idea I'm here, and I'd like to keep it that way."

"Hey, Manchurian Candidate, you're killing me," he continues, turning to Bucky, "there's a truce here, you can drop- thank you." Bucky lowers his gun and joins us, standing relatively close to me.

"You ok?" I ask softly.

"Been better." He nods and follows the other two down a corridor. I follow them and we end up in the room where Bucky and I were brainwashed the most. I tightly shut my eyes a few times and shake my head, attempting to remove the nightmares from my eyes.

"I've got heat signatures." Tony states which makes Bucky and I pick our guns back up.

"How many?" I ask shakily.

"One."

"If it's any consolation, they died in their sleep," the sinister Sokovian accent informs again, "do you really think I wanted more of you?"

"Shit." I whisper to myself.

"I'm thankful for them though," he says again, "they brought you here." A light switches on from the corner of the room, and there he was. Helmut Zemo. Standing protected and confident as always. Steve throws his shield towards Zemo, but it bounces off the wall and back to him.

"The Soviets built this chamber to withstand the launch blast of UR-100 rockets, Steve," I say, "your shield won't do anything."

"I bet I could beat that!" Tony shouts to Zemo.

"You killed innocent people in Vienna just to bring us here," Steve sternly says as the four of us edge closer to Zemo, "why?"

"You'll find out soon." Zemo taunts.