Chapter 11

It was the morning after the scouts last expedition, yet nothing had changed. Soldiers dead. Families destroyed. Survivors left traumatised. It hadn't disappeared throughout the night, no matter how much they wished it was just a nightmare to wake up from.

The captain stayed in bed, waiting for the 'injured' girl next to him to wake up. Normally, Levi would just send a kick to her side, however, with Levi's broken leg and Kaya's 'wound' , he decided it wasn't the best idea. Kaya had slowly started to open her eyes when she saw the light flood in from the windows and groaned, the ghoul wasn't ready for the day ahead of her.

"About time you woke up. You were tossing and turning all night, you better not have opened your wound on my bed." Levi warned. Kaya recalled the events of the previous day and remembered the wound that she needed to pretend she had for a short while.

"Relax, my wound isn't even that bad." Kaya reassured, not wanting to stand on the sidelines while the others fought for humanity.

"Really, let me take a look." The captain asked while sitting up and looking at the ghouls bandages. "You should change your bandages, don't want it getting infected now, do we?" Levi started to move his hands towards the ghoul until she flinched and slowly sat up.

"I'll go to the infirmary if it means that much to ya." Kaya said before getting out of the bed to head back to her own room.

"Quit acting like you didn't almost die!" The captain yelled, stopping the ghoul in her tracks. "Can't you see that it's a gift that you're still here? I lost my whole squad and then I thought I was going to lose you too, do you know how frustrating it is watching you not give a damn about your own life." She did it. The amber eyed girl had finally made the captain snap, he could barely keep his composure when his squad died, but with Kaya 'throwing her life away' he couldn't just stand by.

"I'm sorry. I've been acting quite selfish, haven't I? I guess I forgot to consider how you were feeling about all this, dumb move I know." She lied. In truth, the thief thought that she was helping Levi by acting nonchalant, she never realised that he was feeling that way. "Levi, you need to trust me, I'm fine." Kaya reassured.

The ghoul quickly took off the the infirmary and went to retrieve new bandages to make her injury seem plausible, she also wanted to prove to the captain that she was ok, and she wasn't giving up. The more the ghoul thought about the night before, she started to accept the idea of her telling Levi her secret more and more, the ghoul couldn't deny the fact that he'd at least have some understanding. However, the voice in her head kept warning her that she'd end up just like her parents, dead because of her own secrets.

While she was walking, the thief had managed to walk straight into another soldier, upon taking a further look, she recognised it to be Eren. "Miss Kaya, what are you doing out of bed?" Eren stuttered.

"Huh, the hell are you talking about, I'm fine." Kaya responded.

"Hange told us to make sure you stayed on bed rest so they could check up on your injury later, I could get them now if you like?" Eren explained to the ghoul.

"There's no need, I don't want that titan freak touching me." The amber eyed girl said while shoving past Eren and getting back on track.

"But Kaya-"

"Save it Eren, there's no way I'm agreeing to that." Kaya cut him off.

She quickly walked to the infirmary and grabbed the bandages before walking back to her room, the ghoul knew she could keep Hange at a distance and didn't have much to fear from them, however, she couldn't help but feel as though people already expected her. She kept questioning the fact that the head of titan biology wanted to check her wound instead of a genuine nurse, none of it added up.