<3 (13) Sick

Requested by: @mayamadrigals

"Camilo, Mirabel, are you sure you can watch over Casita for a few days?" Alma worriedly asks. "I'm sure we could find someone else-"

Camilo sighs. "We're sixteen Abuela. We'll be able to handle it. Besides, you saw Bruno's vision; all of those people in the next town over are in danger. If you guys don't go help, who will?"

"If we get in trouble we can ask the (yln) family for help. They've helped us before." Mirabel says

Felíx places his hand on Alma's shoulder. "They'll be okay. It's time for you to start trusting them."

Alma looks at Felíx, and then back at the two teens. She softly smiles. "Alright. Let's go, Madrigals!"

Bruno lingers back as everyone else exits the house. He approaches Mirabel and lowers his voice. "Make sure the rats get fed while I'm gone, okay?"

Mirabel smiles. "Don't worry about a thing."

Camilo smirks as he rests his arm on his cousin's shoulder. "We got this."

:-:-:-:-:-:

I'm reading in my living room when I hear a knock on the front door. I sigh and set my book down on the table. "Coming!" I call.

I open the door and see a frantic Mirabel standing on the doorstep.
"Mirabel? You look like a mess. Is everything alright?" I step to the side and gesture to the house, inviting her to walk inside.

Mirabel sighs. "Y'know how the Madrigals are out of town this week right?"

I nod.

"Well Camilo is running a really high fever, and I can't bring it down." She rubs her tired eyes. "I've been up all night and I'm exhausted. I was hoping you could-"

"Say no more. I'll pack an overnight bag and stay at Casita until he's better." I say. I felt worried. With Julieta's healing abilities, nobody in the town of Encanto was sick or injured for very long before she stepped in. Nobody other than her was knowledgeable about nursing people back to health. Luckily, I learned a thing or two about the subject during my time in my old town.

Mirabel helps me pack a small overnight bag, and after telling my parents where I was going, we headed over to Casita.

Casita's window shutters swing open and closed to wave at us, and I wave back. "Hi, Casita!" I happily greet. Mirabel yawns behind me, and I giggle when I notice she was beginning to doze off while leaning against the wall. "Casita, could you please take Mirabel to her room? She looks exhausted."

A chair moves up to wear Mirabel stands, and she flops onto it in defeat. I laugh as I walk into the kitchen to get a bowl of cold water. I then make my way up the stairs to Camilo's room. I gently knock on the door and hear no response. "Camilo? I'm coming in..." I say, opening the door.

Camilo's room is in its typical order, with just a bed, yellow wallpaper, and a few other miscellaneous furniture pieces scattered throughout the room. Camilo's in his bed, sleeping softly. I pull a chair close to his bedside and sit down beside him.
"Camilo?" I gently nudge him.

His eyes flutter open. "(Yn)?" He croaks out. "Are you an angel? Am I dead?"

I giggle a bit. Camilo still wanted to make me laugh even though he was sick. Gosh, why does he have to be so cute? I ask myself. "I'm real. Mirabel asked me for help. Can I take your temperature?"

Camilo nods and I place the back of my hand on his forehead. Yeesh, he was burning up. "You have a fever," I announce, dipping a towel into the cold bowl of water. "Let's see if this will help lower it," I say, wringing out the towel of excess water.

I carefully place the towel on Camilo's forehead, and he lets out a sigh of relief. "That feels nice." He gives me a small smile. "Thank you, (Yn)."

I kiss his freckled cheek. "Is there anything else I can do for you?"

Camilo shakes his head. "You just being here is enough." He coughs. "I'll be okay."

"Try to get some sleep." I place my hand over the top of one of Camilo's own. "I'll be here."

:-:-:-:-:

My eyes slowly open. I lift my head off of the side of Camilo's bed. I must've fallen asleep... I think, glancing out the window to see that it had gotten significantly darker outside. I stretch my arms out with a yawn and look back down at my boyfriend's sleeping form. He looked so peaceful. I slowly remove the now room temperature towel off of his forehead and place it back into the bowl. I prop my head up on my arm and gaze down at Camilo's adorably beautiful face.

Camilo peacefully breaths in and out. I carefully run my fingers through his brown curls and smile as his head instinctually leans into my hand. I begin to stand up so I can get more cold water for his head, but stop when I feel Camilo place one of his hands on mine. "Don't...go..." He softly says in his sleep. "Stay...(Yn)."

A small smile forms on my lips. "I'll be back soon, love," I whisper, pulling my hand from his grasp. I pick up the water bowl and tiptoe out of the room. As I walk by the nursery I hear gentle snoring; Mirabel must still be asleep.

I hum to myself as I refill the bowl with more cold water, and make my way back into Camilo's bedroom. I sit down at his bedside and submerge the towel into the chilly water. I wring it out and softly set it on Camilo's head. He stirs in his sleep, so I return to the task of running my fingers through his hair. I feel relief when Camilo's body begins to calm down, and he nuzzles his head into his pillow.

I stayed by his side for the rest of the night.

:-:Two Days Later:-:

After a couple of days of taking turns watching over Camilo, Mirabel and I were both feeling pretty tired. Luckily, my spirits were beginning to lift.

I softly sing to myself as I dry the dishes Mirabel had been washing. "You're in a good mood. What's up?" She asks, handing me the last wet dish.

"Camilo didn't have a fever last night! I'm hoping this means that he's getting better." I happily announce.

"You and me both," Mirabel says, drying her hands. "He's gonna owe us big time for this."

"Dang. Tía Julieta wouldn't make me owe her anything."

I turn around and see Camilo standing there, leaning against the doorframe with his arms crossed. "Camilo? You're up!" I exclaim, already running over to the boy. "Does this mean you're feeling better?"

Camilo pulls me into a loving embrace. "I'm feeling good as new, mi amor. All thanks to you and Mir." He says, kissing the top of my head.

I feel my cheeks grow hot, and I feel all warm and fuzzy inside. I hug him back and nuzzle my face into his chest. "It's the least I can do for my favorite Madrigal." I smile as I feel Camilo's heartbeat quicken.

I suddenly feel the sudsy washcloth smack my back. I turn around and Mirabel acts fake-hurt. "I can't believe Camilo is your favorite!" She says dramatically. "I'm the quirky but relatable protagonist!"

Camilo blows her off. "Ehh...protagonists are overrated." He says with a shrug of his shoulders.

Mirabel hits Camilo with the wet piece of fabric while laughing. "You're the worst!"

Camilo picks up a towel and begins fighting back. The cousins laugh as they chase each other around the kitchen. I giggle at their antics as I grab another towel to join in their fight. "You two are going down!!"