Chp. 8

My heart felt as if it was about to explode as I looked at Drew, knowing that she had to be feeling a hundred times worse than me right now. Someone sick had abused her physically, sexually, and emotionally and she had revealed it to me all but a few minutes ago. I tried to comprehend the situation so I could help her but the only thing I could muster up was more questions.

I whispered, "Who knows this besides me...?"

She shook her head, "Just you and Demarcus."

Moments before her episode had happened passion had surrounded us in this room. Everything had suddenly taken a turn for the worst when I took it too far and that passion was now replaced by pain and confusion. I was afraid of this situation because I didn't know how to handle it. If Drew had been sexually abused, how was I supposed to handle something like that? I mean this was a problem that I shouldn't have to deal with, not at twenty-one and in my prime...

But even though I shouldn't have to deal with it I wanted to. I wanted to be there for Drew, I wanted to show her that I wasn't going to hurt her, and I wanted to help her fix whatever the hell was broken.

I took both of her hands in mine, basically speaking out of instinct now. I shook my head, "Drew, I meant what I said, I'm not going anywhere unless you ask me to. If you want to talk about it, we can, if you don't that's fine too. We can go downstairs and watch a movie or we can go to sleep... This doesn't change how I look at you, and it doesn't change how I feel. "

After all of those words fell out of my mouth I realized I had meant every single one of them, and I hadn't just said them to make her feel better. It was honest, and I watched as the darkness clouding her eyes begin to fade away. Her hands gently grasped mine, as if she was holding on to me to make sure I didn't go anywhere until she was okay.

But I wasn't planning on going anywhere, period.

She seemed to become speechless, as if she didn't know what to say. I was glad that I had reassured her everything would be fine but for now we were walking a very thin line.

She shook her head, "Please do not think I don't want you... because that's most definitely not true..."

I smiled to myself, already knowing that but understanding she wanted to alleviate some guilt that rested on her shoulders. I nodded, "I won't initiate anything unless you do, I promise."

I felt good about how I had handled the situation, knowing I had succeeded in keeping her calm since she seemed to be more level-headed now. I didn't quite understand what exactly had set her off but the more I thought about it the more I analyzed what could've went wrong. I figured now wasn't the time to be thinking about certain things, so I pushed it to the back of my mind.

She looked at me, "If I asked you to stay the night... would you?"

The innocence she radiated was so contradictory compared to what she had just laid out on the table. I knew it was going to take a lot for her to get into details over what happened between her and this Evan boy that had hurt her but I was willing to be patient. I cared about Drew on a level I knew was different, and I was willing to wait for her to feel comfortable to make further steps in whatever relationship we had.