008. this isn't hogwarts

❛ ━━━━━━・ ❪ ☆ ❫ ・━━━━━━ ❜

"WAKE IN 1, 2, 3, 4, 5. Anna... Anna? You all right?"

Anna sat up, suddenly much calmer than before. "Thank you, Pamela. That helps a lot. I remember now." Her voice was very even for someone who was just thinking they were going to be killed.

Eleanor took a cautious step forward. "Remember what?"

"Who I am."

Dean stood from the wall, rubbing his head. "I'll bite. Who are you?"

"I'm an angel." The room goes silent, everyone stunned. "Don't be afraid, I'm not like the others," Anna promises.

Ruby grimaces. "I don't find that very reassuring."

"Neither do I," Pamela chimed in.

"So...Castiel, Uriel -- they're the ones that came for me?" Anna asks, standing from the couch.

"You know them?" Eleanor questions, shifting backward slightly.

Anna nods. "We were kind of in the same foxhole."

"So, what, were they like your bosses or something?" Dean seemed to recover from the shock the quickest and was most comfortable around the angel.

"Try the other way around."

Dean raises his eyebrows and smiles appreciatively. "Look at you."

"But now they want to kill you?" Eleanor asks. Her hand reaches into her pocket and she runs her thumb back and forth over the engraved surface of her lighter without her realizing it.

The angel shrugs. "Orders are orders. I'm sure I have a death sentence on my head."

"You're oddly calm about that."

"I mean, I disobeyed... which, for us, is about the worst thing you can do. I fell." She frowns, remembering the fall.

Dean tilts his head in question. "Meaning?"

"She fell to earth, became human," Pamela explains.

Sam's eyebrows furrow. "Wait a minute. I don't understand. So, angels can just become human?"

"It kind of hurts. Try cutting your kidney out with a butter knife. That kind of hurt. I ripped out my grace."

Eleanor winces at the image. "Your what?"

"My grace. It's... energy. Hacked it out and fell. My mother, Amy, couldn't get pregnant. Always called me her little miracle. She had no idea how right she was." A small smile appeared on her face.

"So, you just forgot that you were God's little Power Ranger?" Dean asks, not entirely buying it.

"The older I got, the longer I was human, yeah."