chapter 66- flowers

when quackity and i hang up, our relationship feels a bit repaired. we don't talk every day and don't immediately jump back into being good friends, but we're civil with one another. and i'm very grateful for just that.

once friday morning rolls around, i jump out of bed eagerly and throw the clothes i laid out the night before over my head. i eat breakfast and brush my teeth at the speed of light, and at 7:15 get in the car and drive to aubrey's house.

while i'm driving, i pass by a pop up flower shop. i immediately turn on my turn signal to drive over to the shop.

i wasn't planning on stopping for flowers, but you should always bring flowers to a date, right?

i get out of the car and approach the empty stand, and the girl behind the counter smiles brightly when she sees me approaching.

"hello, can i help you with-"

her words skid to a halt when she looks me in the eyes.

"holy crap. you're wilbur soot," she says as she brings a hand to her mouth. i laugh and nod. "can i please get a picture?"

"of course," i reply as i take a picture with the young girl. she smiles brightly as she takes the photo.

"thank you so much! oh my god... well, can i help you with anything?"

"yes, actually. i'm looking to buy a couple of flowers?"

"sure thing. what's the occasion? dinner party, wedding, funeral..."

"first date."

the girl's eyes go wide and she nods.

"you got it," she says as she examines a couple of flowers. i silently thank the lord that she's not nosy. "bouquet or single flower?"

"what do you think would be better?"

"a bouquet."

"i trust your judgement. i'll take a bouquet."

"of course. what type of flower?"

i smile as i shake my head.

"i don't know the first thing about this type of stuff..." i admit sheepishly.

"no problem! if you want my advice, i'd either choose the lavender or roses. lavender has been popular recently, probably because of the smell. and roses are a classic."

"definitely not lavender. she's allergic to lavender. i'll take the roses."

"sure thing. red, white, or pink?"

"can you do all three?"

"i can!"

the girl takes an assortment of red, white, and pink roses and sorts them into a lovely bouquet. she hands it to me as i reach for my wallet.

"no need. it's on the house," she says.

"oh no, i can't accept that. come on," i reply.

"seriously! the picture was your payment. go on! don't be late!"

i shrug as i take the bouquet.

"thank you so much for your help! have a great day!" i call out to her as i start walking away.

"no problem! you too!" she replies.

i wave to my new friend as i go back to the car. i put the flowers in the front seat, adjust my collar and sweater, and get back on the road.

i get to aubrey's apartment five minutes early, giving me just enough time to use the elevator and get to her room at 9 sharp.

i enter the apartment complex and greet the front desk. they say hello back, and i make my way to the elevator.

i wait anxiously in the empty elevator until i finally reach aubrey's floor. i can hardly contain my excitement as i clutch the flowers tightly, making sure not even a single petal falls from the buds.

i finally make it to her apartment, and i knock on the door quickly. the door swings open immediately, and i'm greeted by-

woah.

i know i always say she looks beautiful, but right now i can't find my breath.

she's wearing a short black lace dress and black platform doc martens. there's also an oversized black jacket draped over her arm.

(for reference lolololol)

"you are stunning," i tell her as my jaw falls to the floor

"you are stunning," i tell her as my jaw falls to the floor. aubrey laughs quietly and her eyes fall to the flowers. i snap out of my trance and remember where i am. "oh right! these are for you!"

i hand her the flowers and her eyes soften. she runs one of her fingers against the soft petals, then grabs my hand and pulls me inside.

"these are gorgeous, thank you," she says as she hugs me.

"i'm glad you like them," i say softly as i stroke her hair. "shall we get going?"

"wait." aubrey pulls me along to her kitchen. she reaches under the sink and pulls out a glass vase and fills it up with water. she removes the flowers from their plastic bag and delicately puts them all in the water.

"where do you think this would look good?" she asks me. i look around her apartment, and my eyes fall on a coffee table in front of tv.

"what about there?" i suggest, pointing at the table. she walks over and puts the flowers on the table, adjusts them a bit, then backs up to examine them.

"perfect," she says happily. "now we can go."

we leave her apartment complex and get in the car.

"are you gonna tell me where we're going yet?" aubrey asks as we get out on the open road.

"nope," i reply with a proud grin. aubrey scoffs and crosses her arms.

"i hate you."

"no you don't."

aubrey pauses and picks at her nails.

"i don't," she admits quietly.

i smile, then look down at her hands.

"don't do that. you'll mess up your pretty nails," i say as i take her hand. aubrey's face flushes as her fingers wrap around mine. we move our hands to the center console and drive peacefully, making casual banter and listening to the aux.

(A/N the next few chapters have some very fun events in them >:) i think you guys are gonna really enjoy them if you know what i mean. anyway i hope you guys liked this chapter! if you did, please vote, comment, share, and add this to your reading lists! i would really appreciate it :] love you SOOOOOO much have a beautiful day you beautiful human <3)