Chapter 14

"Stop freaking out,"

"Don't tell me to stop freaking out because that's going to make me freak out even more!"

Keana let out a tired sigh. "Mila, I just don't see what the big deal is,"

"The big deal is that I fucking told her, and I quote, 'I could never put how I feel for you into the right words'. Do you even know what this means, Keana?" Camila frantically paced around her bedroom.

"It means you finally told the woman you've had a crush on since you were a teenager that you like her,"

"Like? I practically said I loved her!"

"Potato, potahto," Keana gave her a dismissive shrug. "Have you talked to her since?"

"I'm too scared to pick up the phone," Camila sat down on the edge of her bed, defeated. "It was just supposed to be..."

"Sex?"

"God, don't say it like that," she groaned loudly, falling flat on her back. "She probably thinks I'm a loser,"

"I think you're adorable," Keana smiled into the camera. "And I also think what you did was long overdue and extremely brave."

"Lauren Jauregui doesn't want anything to do with somebody like me. Trust me on that one."

"How can you be so sure of that?"

"My mom used to be their maid, for crying out loud. Whatever Lauren desired as a kid, she always got it. Meanwhile, I was in New York fucking City selling my body to cougars just to make a pretty penny."

Camila heard the door slam shut before Keana faced the camera again, glowering this time.

"Sweetie, we'd be on the phone for hours if I sat here and told you everything I did to make ends meet. Some of the stuff... I'm not proud of it. But I did what I had to do and the same goes for you. If she cares so much about something that's in the past, then that says more than enough about her character. You're smart, charismatic, and one hell of a beast in bed. I'm certain that somebody more accepting and loving will come your way when things go to shit with Lauren."

"I appreciate you a lot, you know that, right?"

"Of course, I do. And the feeling is mutual. You're my little pumpkin—how could I ever not love you?"

"It's just—" Camila frowned. "She didn't even say anything to me after I practically admitted failure at her feet. You'd expect somebody to have a bigger reaction when you tell them about the otherworldly feelings they make you experience."

Keana nodded in understandingly. "But have you ever thought that maybe she's not ready to admit her own feelings to herself yet?"

"Stop being right,"

"I kinda enjoy being right. Look, I have to go, but promise me you'll talk to her soon? She's the only person I can rely on to keep you out of jail."

"Ha, ha," Camila faked a laugh. "So freakin' funny. I'll talk to you soon, Keeks."

Keana puckered her lips. "Stay away from those murderers on campus and make sure you give me a call when you get the balls to talk to her again!" She abruptly hung up once she finished her sentence.

Camila dropped her phone onto the bed as she dramatically huffed. "God, I'm a fucking idiot,"

-

"A Halloween party? Are you sure this is a good idea?"