Chapter 72

Midoriya laid in bed, staring at the ceiling. He thought about how to report Yuki to Aizawa and how it might affect the case. He thought of Yuki, and wondered what he similarities he could see between Eri's case and his own.

Throughout his brief fascination with mystery cases, Midoriya had stumbled upon it on the internet. Discussion boards filled with who and how this serial killer was able to get away for so long. Was it a group of people working together? Was it only one person? How were they able to kidnap people in broad daylight without leaving witnesses? How were they choosing who was next? Had it really been as random as the police had stated? Or was it something particular the victims had which attracted the killer.

There was one particular discussion thread claiming to have been part of the investigation, secretly leaking information to the public. They claimed to have worked on analyzing the victim's body and how they had only been able to connect various cases together because there was a pattern in their injuries. Some had wounds that were healed in a time limit that didn't fit the time gone missing and others showed signs of both an amateur and a skilled stitching technique. They also stated other than the numerous injuries, blood samples showed numerous traces of drugs. None showed signs of starvation nor any type of sexual abuse.

A popular theory at the time was that someone was kidnapping people and using them as experiments. At every new body found, less injuries were visible and the only sign, if any at all, were faint scaring which the families all consecutively never had injuries in such places. Not long after the theory, news of a victim escaping and surviving happened and the thread was quickly deleted.

To now know his friend was the sole survivor, was–

A chill ran through Midoriya. He wondered how he hadn't noticed anything before. Or maybe he did but didn't pay too much attention to them. He thought back to all the strange habits he noted Yuki having.

Yuki chewed awfully slowly and spent the majority of their lunches with a mouth full of food if there wasn't enough time. His constant need to push his quirk's limits in situations such as the week of Bakugo's rescue, healing not only class 1-A and 1-B but also the rest of the patients he could fit into each waking moment. The small flinches he had when Midnight snapped her whip.

The scars he couldn't help but notice when he nearly drowned– Did Kacchan know about it?

Certainly with the amount of time and suspicious amount of care he was giving Yuki during their house arrest was a clue that he knew, right? There was also the fact that his family lawyer had suddenly appeared when Yuki was sick. Did that have anything to do about the case? Certainly it must have since it couldn't have waited after Yuki was better.

Midoriya pulled his blanket up to his nose and frowned. How was he going to face him now?

-.-.-

Bakugo went to sleep early, everyone knew that. Why? No one really knew. They'd all just accepted he had the attitude of an old man so why not the habits, after all he was already wearing loafers one would call 'old people shoes.'

Yuki had managed to find two reasons for his early attempts to sleep. (Heavy emphasis on 'attempts.') Turns out, the boy was a light sleeper with nightmares.

"Where did you go?" Bakugo asked, sitting up half asleep.

So Yuki wasn't surprised he was awoken when he got back from the shower room downstairs.

"Juice." Yuki softly replied, stripping and quickly changing out of his wet clothes.

"Uh huh." Bakugo mumbled, easing himself back under the covers, too tired to pick a fight.