seventeen.

After pictures and everything had ended, Violet and her mother said goodbye to Peter and his aunt and uncle before making their way to the car. Immediately, she stripped out of her cap and gown, tossing them in the backseat haphazardly, revealing the tight, navy blue dress she had decided to wear. It was something her mother had picked up for her when Violet had revealed that she just wanted to wear jeans and maybe a nice shirt.

She slouched in the seat with a dreamy look on her face, lips twitching at the corners when she remembered just how joyful Peter had looked today. Finally, she had graduated, and now she was to focus on getting into college. She hadn't cared much for college before, but since Gwen had brought up the glories of Oxford, she had decided to try and get in, along with her best friend. Peter wanted to be with her, and therefore was going to apply, as well. All three were top in their class with elective credits, so there was high hope. As long as one didn't flunk an interview.

But she was excited, and happy with life. The life-changing events from the months before had actually changed her life in a good way, with her being closer to Peter than ever, and also planning a future. A few months ago, she would have said she had no future, and would follow whatever was laid out for her. Now, she wanted to make her own way. A way that kept her going as far as made her happy in life, with Peter and Gwen and her mother at her side.

"You look high." Lilah Flynn commented, glancing over at her daughter in the passenger seat. They were already halfway to home, which seemed surprisingly fast for New York traffic, until Violet realized she had zoned out a lot longer than she'd thought she had.

With a dramatic exhale, she threw her arms out. "High on life, Mother. High on life!"

Lilah laughed, before letting silence fall on to the car again, leaving Violet to her daydreams. When they pulled into their driveway, the teenager hopped up, opening the door with her own set of keys. She and Peter were supposed to meet Gwen and her family for dim sum in a few hours, but she still had some things to take care of before she got ready and left. She especially needed to shower, as sweat plastered her hair to the back of her neck and made her thighs stick together.

And so, after throwing away all of her school stuff that she didn't need anymore, she hopped in the shower, washing off all of her filth to make herself look more lively. When she got out, she dried her hair, and threw on some nicer clothes, although nothing like she had been a few hours before. It was around seven by the time she had been ready and laid in bed for a bit, and boredom was starting to eat at her.

Her phone was ringing before she knew it, calling Peter to see what he was up to. It was just as quick that it was declined, and she was being sent a text saying he was busy, and would pick her up at seven-thirty. Her mouth moved down into a frown, and her brow furrowed in confusion.

Peter always picked up. Always. One time, he had even been in the shower when she called, and had answered just to tell her that he was in the shower and would call her when he was out and getting dressed. It was something that she found funny, but endearing nonetheless. Which is why being declined made her stomach churn uneasily.

Nevertheless, Violet waited until seven-thirty, and still felt a little giddy kick in her rib cage when Peter texted her that he was at her doorstep. Grabbing her keys and shoving them eagerly in the pocket of her jeans, she ran downstairs, stepping outside and shutting the door behind her and grinning happily at the boy in front of her. "Hey there, handsome."

A small smile pulled at his lips. "Hello. You ready?"

"Been ready." She chirped, practically skipping down the doorstep and wrapping her fingers around his bicep. He smiled down at her, but she didn't feel like he conveyed the same eagerness she felt to be around her.