Chapter 15: Ripples - Imperial Conference

Tempestamens 15, 1614 Central Calendar, 09:00

Albion Palace, Audience Hall

On the 15th of every three months, the Holy Milishial Empire will hold an Imperial Conference to decide the future policy of the nation. As the highest-level meeting in the Empire during peacetime, the Imperial Conference will be attended by the most important officials in the Empire and the Emperor himself. Given the Empire's position as the world's strongest nation, any decisions made at this meeting could have far-reaching consequences for the entire known world.

The venue of the meeting, the Albion Palace, which also serves as the residence for the Emperor and his family, is a majestic building located in the heart of the Empire's government district, built from pure white marble and colorful stained glass in a style of architecture reminiscent to what the people from Earth called the 'Gothic architecture.' The magical lights made the palace shine so brightly at night that it is even visible in the distance to anyone coming to the capital from the eastern hills or from the western port.

The Albion Palace was built during the reign of the Second Milishial Emperor, and it was expanded by his successors until it becomes a large complex occupying 33 hectares of land, surrounded by white fortified walls and towers that separated it from the rest of the city. Furthermore, the palace complex and the surrounding government district are also guarded by a battalion of the Holy Milishial Imperial Guard equipped with the best equipment that the Empire has to offer, making it an impenetrable fortress. Even as the high-rise buildings began to appear in Runepolis, the Albion Palace retained its splendor as the symbol of might, wealth, and prosperity of the strongest superpower in the known world, bar none.

It is said that the name of the palace, 'Albion', was given in honor of the architect who built the palace, but since it happened so long ago, the truth has been lost to the people.

As the time was nearing the scheduled meeting time, the participants began to arrive and occupy the seats within the Audience Hall. Located on the western wing of the Albion Palace, it is a circular room lavishly decorated with blue marble floor and white walls, as well as a dark blue-painted, dome-shaped ceiling adorned with golden geometric patterns.

A currently empty golden throne sits at the north end of the room, and behind it, a sky-blue banner with the Holy Milishial Empire's August Star emblem hangs proudly. Its design, which is inspired by the act of Gods that banished the enemy of mankind, the Ancient Sorcerous Empire, implies the Empire's position as the center of the world and serves as a reminder to everyone present of the Empire's role as the protector of the world from their return.

Behind the Audience Hall's seats, stood the eight towering marble statues of the country's emperors arranged in a clockwise pattern, with the statues of the First and Eighth Emperors flanking the throne.

However, there are two strange things in this room.

The first is the statue of the First Milishial Emperor. Unlike the other statues, which were polished to utmost perfection, this one is heavily ruined, with the only thing left being the lower part of the torso and its legs.

Second, there is an empty seat located very close to the throne. As far as everyone remembered, that particular seat is always empty whenever an Imperial Conference is held, but judging from its position which is so close to the place where the Emperor is seated, it must have been reserved for someone of a very important position.

Arsene Lippin, the Director of the Ministry of Ancient Sorcerous Empire Countermeasures, sat in his chair, drumming his finger on the table to drown out his anxiety. As he glanced around the Audience Hall, where officials wearing colorful attires in different styles already filled the room and began talking to each other, Lippin took a deep breath and exhaled.