Chapter 62

Ryder's POV

My men quickly got into position, and the second squadron, those with gifts that could be used from afar prepared themselves for a battle against their own prince.

Liam noticed the change in our demeanor, and slowly trailed his eyes around everyone surrounding him. When it met mine, the flames in his whips blazed and became wilder.

"I gave you a chance, but you threw it away." He said, and the truth in his words brought a shit ton of guilt that washed over me.

"I was only trying to-"

"Protect me?" He seethed and flicked his whip, which made the legion bristle and primed to strike. It didn't escape his attention and it angered him even more.

"You're doing one hell of a job at it."

And then chaos broke.

Bolts of thunder slithered through the ground, electrocuting those who were near enough to him. They screamed which made the second squadron launch into attack.

Bolts of energy and poisonous thorns were fired at him but he dropped and touched the ground, creating a wall of fire that blocked off their attacks. It broke and fell just as a hidden figure traveled the shadows.

While Liam deflected an incoming blow, the shadow caught a hold of his ankle, taking him by surprise before another attack was aimed at him. This time, a beam of light blinded his eyes and he hissed, transforming the whips into two wicked blades that he used to protect himself.

"I hear you."

And fuck he did.

A legion member who was dumb enough to get close, was now brandishing a gaping wound at his back because of Liam's weapon.

"Get the fuck back!" I bellowed and everyone did as I said.

A whistling sound blew past my ear and something glinted under the sky towards Liam's direction. Someone conjured multiple bullets and hurled it at him, while a void tried to ensnare him on his feet.

Still unseeing, he snarled and was about to summon his fire, but a wave of water doused its flames.

Fuck.

His name got stuck in my throat, and I almost went to him out of instinct but then he just vanished right in front of our eyes before everything could hit him.

"The fuck?"

"He's gone!" Another voice shouted and scanned the spot he was standing on a while ago.

What in the world...

And then I saw it.

A shadow like the one who caught his ankle, lurked in the corners and moved towards us. Looking at it, a realization dawned on me which made my eyes widen in disbelief.

I thought that aside from the vermilion gift of fire and superiority, his own unique ability would be the thunder that he fused with his flames. But I couldn't be more wrong.

Oh hell no.

Liam was a fucking steal.

"He's a steal!" I revealed to everyone and the legion whipped their heads in my direction, looking so done. The expressions on their face matched my own very well.

We're screwed.

"He's in the shadows!"

They all jumped back and kept an eye out for their surroundings but it was too late.

Liam appeared behind the squad that attacked him and enclosed them in a circle of fire. Someone quickly provided an energy shield to deflect Liam's plan but before they could put out his fire, he surged.