Chapter 18

I tried to forget what happened that night, but I only ended up tossing and turning in my bed

An uneasy feeling has settled in the pit of my stomach. I don't like the fact that Delilah and Ares talk.

Have conversations – pleasant ones.

And that they've apparently talked about me. What did Delilah say about me?

Is she talking bad about me to him? Giving him more reasons to hate me?

"You good there, Elena?" Vi asks from beside me and nudges me with her elbow. I send her a weak smile and nod.

"I'm okay."

We're about to get into the studio for a radio interview with a famous German radio channel.

And guess who's going to be in the room?

Dopamine is going to have the same interview and they'll be waiting in the studio with us, watching everything firsthand.

Imani leads us into the studio, where we're greeted by the hosts who welcome us. They're very kind and first as us how we're doing, letting us in and situating us at the table.

We're seated at the table, listening to the man on the opposite side say something in German into the microphone and I hear Icarus leave his lips.

I shift in my seat, the microphone in front of my face and the band Dopamine on the other side of the room.

They're all talking to each other in hushed whispers, seemingly relaxed. Ares, as usual, looks like he wants to be anywhere else but here and is on his phone instead.

My eyes are drawn to his lips when his tongue quickly peeks out to wet them, and all I can recall is the way they ghosted over mine when he blew smoke into my mouth.

I avert my gaze and look at the hosts of the radio, who quickly switch to English for us.

They ask us a few questions and then we talk a bit about the album and our world tour.

Frederik, the host, is actually a funny and friendly guy. In his early thirties and fairly attractive – I saw Violet eyeing him as soon as we walked in.

Lukas, his co-host, has also done his best to make us feel at home and I've got to say that I feel pretty relaxed right now. I'm not tensed up and nervous.

Though, what keeps me on edge is Ares sitting on the other side, sometimes lifting his eyes and inspecting us before lowering them again.

"So, Ella," Frederik says and focuses his blue eyes on me. I immediately noticed his eyes, and then I caught myself comparing them to Ares' eyes, which I loathed myself for.

Frederik's aren't as electrifying and deep. They're pale and light, but pretty nonetheless.

Just not what I dream about at night.