Friends Don't Lie-Steve Harrington

Request by Silver9860

Steve Harrington is not nearly as big as an asshole as everyone thinks he is. At least, not to me. Steve and I have known each other our entire lives. We've been combined at the hip since we could walk.

When he started becoming popular, he brought me with him. I was unsure about this new group of people we were spending time with, but he has always protected me. If anyone said anything about me that Steve didn't like, he'd immediately put an end to it.

There is only one thing about our friendship that part of me wishes I could change. Since middle school, I've been struggling with anxiety. I have panic attacks that keep getting worse over the years. The worst part is that I hide them from Steve.

Even though Steve and I have been best friends since we were little, he has no idea that I sneak off and suffer through my anxiety attacks in silence.

I was currently hiding in the bathroom after I did horrible on a math test, forcing myself through a panic attack. I had to calm down before lunch. Steve couldn't see me like this. I jumped when the bell rang. I walked out of the stall and washed my hands.

I looked at my reflection and watched myself slowly return to normal. I ran my fingers through my hair and grabbed my backpack. I walked down the hallway, my hand gripping my backpack strap as tightly as I could.

I gasped when someone suddenly grabbed my other hand, playfully swinging our hands back and forth. I looked over to see Steve smiling at me.

"Hey," he greeted. "Carol told me you went to the bathroom after your math test and didn't come back. You feeling okay?"

"Why did she tell you that?" I stuttered.

"I was waiting for you outside of class," he explained. "When you didn't walk out, I asked Carol and she told me."

"Oh," I said, looking away.

"You okay?" He asked.

"Yeah," I said, slightly clearing my throat. "It's just a migraine. You know how I get with those."

"Wait," he said, tugging on my arm and stopping. "How long have you had a migraine? Why didn't you tell me? Do you want me to take you home?"

"Steve," I cut him off. "First of all, breathe. Second of all, I'm fine. It's nothing. It'll go away."

"Y/N," he sighed.

"Come on," I chuckled as I pulled on his arm. "We're going to be late for lunch."

* * * * *

Even though he didn't say anything about it during lunch, I could tell it was bothering him. He kept glancing at me but wouldn't say anything.

After lunch, Steve and I didn't have a class together until history at the end of the day. I walked down the hallway and stopped when I saw him, Carol, and Tommy standing in the hallway.

"Good news," he smiled as I approached them, "We've got a sub. Wanna go get food?"

I looked over his shoulder to see Missy and her friends glaring at me. Ever since middle school, Missy and her gang of Wanna-be Barbies have tormented me. Their main reason is Steve. They hate that he spends so much time with me and none with them.

Missy is actually the reason I had my first panic attack. And just like how Steve doesn't know about my panic attacks, he has no clue that Missy is in love with him.

"Y/N, you okay?"

I opened my mouth but nothing came out. Slowly, I couldn't breathe. I started to nervously stutter as my hands shook. I glanced over at Missy to see her smirking at me knowingly.