Act XXIII

Warning for mention of devil's tango

*   *   *

"Here you are," Daniel said, handing Scott a pack of frozen peas to put on his leg. "That should help."

Scott smiled. "Thank you," he said quietly.

"Any time."

As Daniel left the living room, Grian walked in. "Oh, I almost forgot you were here," the boy said with a smile, Scott rolling his eyes playfully.

"Why am I not surprised?" Scott asked, earning a chuckle out of Grian.

"'Cause he's got his boyfriend over to hang out with him," Jimmy teased from his spot next to Scott on the sofa.

Grian's cheeks turned a flaming crimson. "Right," he huffed, "I'm going back to my room to work on homework with Mumbo." He stuck his tongue out at Jimmy, who was downright cackling, and turned on his heel to leave.

Scott sighed in an almost depressing manner as he watched Grian leave. "How do you guys bicker like that and still be good friends?" he whispered.

Jimmy turned to look at Scott. "Sorry?"

Scott met Jimmy's gaze. "You and Grian always argue, and..." He took a shaky breath, shaking his head. "Sorry, never mind." He stood up off the sofa. "Tell me where the bathroom is again?"

"Uh... it's down the hall from the kitchen," Jimmy said hesitantly. "Last door on the left."

"Thanks," Scott said before limping away.

He came back about fifteen minutes later, face red and eyes puffy with tears.

Jimmy stood up, coming closer to Scott to offer a hug. "Hey, what's wrong?"

Scott shook his head and pushed Jimmy away. "I'm fine," he said, sniffling. "I have to go." He grabbed his jacket off the arm of the sofa.

"Alright," Jimmy breathed. "I'll walk you home, then. It isn't far from the school, right?"

Scott's head whipped around to face Jimmy. "No!" he said, a bit louder than either of them expected, making Jimmy flinch. "Er- I-" He shook his head. "You don't have to," he said with a nervous laugh. He wiped at his eyes with his sleeve. "I'll, uh..." He paused. "I'll see you later." He pushed past Jimmy and walked briskly towards the door.

Jimmy stood, frozen, until the front door shut, and he turned around to call for Scott to stop when it was already too late. He stared at the door for a moment.

Jimmy hadn't heard from or seen Scott for the next two weeks.

*   *   *

"Timmyyyyy," Grian whined, pulling on Jimmy's arm. "You walk so slow!"

Jimmy quirked a brow. "I don't even know where we're going," he said, yanking his arm away.

Grian yelped as he fell backward, the only thing holding him up being Jimmy's arm. He uttered a small oof as he hit the ground. "Ow," he grumbled, rubbing his shoulder. "Dickhead."

"What?! You practically did that to yourself!"

"Yeah, because I just let go of your arm," Grian deadpanned. "You totally didn't pull away from me first." He scoffed and held his hand out, expecting Jimmy to take it and pull him up.