Act XXIX

Sunday was rather uneventful aside from Scott whining all day about his shoulder. Jimmy knew it was Scott's intention to come off as rude, but it still made Jimmy feel awful. So much so, that Jimmy stayed home from school Monday morning, claiming to have an upset stomach.

"Wait, you're not-" Scott shook his head. "How am I supposed to- I- You said you'd help me-"

Jimmy sighed. "I know," he said. "I just..." He sighed again. "I'm sorry.

"Jimmy, you don't even have a fever," Scott pointed out, quirking an unimpressed brow at the other boy.

Daniel huffed a chuckle. "He can stay home for a couple hours, and I'll send him in later if he's feeling better," he said. "Don't worry, I'm sure someone'll have the heart to give you a hand, Scott."

Jimmy nodded in agreement, glad that he was seeming to be able to get out of this one. "Yeah, Grian would probably be the first to volunteer," he said, shifting semi-awkwardly. "He's gotten pretty attached to you since you spent the night the first time."

Rolling his eyes, Scott still was upset. "Yeah, but you promised to help me carry my things. You promised, Jimmy."

"I can't help if I'm not feeling well."

"You seem perfectly fine to me."

"Just because I seem fine, doesn't mean I am."

"At least your arm doesn't feel like it's being pounded on constantly."

"Now, now," Daniel cut in before Jimmy could retaliate. Jimmy was thankful for that, or he might've said something he would regret later. "Jimmy, go upstairs and sleep a bit more. Scott, I'll help you with whatever you need to finish getting ready for school. I'll bring Jimmy up to the school in a couple hours if he's feeling better."

Scott huffed, looking so frustrated he might cry. "Fine," he spat, turning to march away.

For the first time, Jimmy felt like he hated Scott. Why does he have to act so petty? Jimmy thought half-bitterly. Yeah, I fractured his shoulder, but it was an accident! He said it himself - I was only trying to help. So why is he acting like this?

"Why don't you head back to bed," Daniel whispered to Jimmy. "Give it a bit."

Jimmy sighed. "Okay..."

*   *   *

"No Scott or Jimmy today?" Ms. Gold asked, looking around the theater. Frowning, she sighed and scribbled onto her clipboard. "What a sha-"

"Just let it go," a boy shouted from the double doors. Ms. Gold turned to see Scott walk in, followed by a confused Jimmy. "I don't care."

"But, you said you wanted me to hel-"

"I don't need your help!"

"Scott, you're dropping stuff-"

Scott whirled around. "Then pick it up," he said.

Jimmy scoffed, crossing his arms. "I thought you didn't need my help," he rebutted, and Scott's eyes narrowed into a glare. "Exactly."

Scott groaned and turned away, continuing to walk into the theater. "Fuck off, asshole," he grumbled.

"Oh, so I'm an asshole now? I've been trying to help you!"

"Well, you're not doing a very good job of it!" Scott shouted. "If you really wanted to help me, you would've come to school this morning!"

"I was sick!"

"No, you fucking weren't!"

Mr. Harding sighed. "Alright, alright," he said, unsuccessful in gaining the two boys' attention. "That's enough bickeri-"