four.

Camila and Shawn talked about it and decided that if the kids could be on their best behavior for two whole weeks, then maybe they could have a sleepover.

As to be expected, they whined a lot at first and Camila understood. Two weeks felt like forever when you're a little kid, but that was just the way it had to be.

Once they realized their parents were serious, both Luna and Seth started acting very good. Luna got herself dressed for school in the mornings and didn't complain when it was bedtime. She also did all her schoolwork and Camila looked over it at night.

After one week—which happened to be one week into October, Camila looked through Luna's schoolwork, smiling at her drawings of pumpkins and bats for Halloween. She then found a new picture book in her bag. Corduroy, about a teddy bear.

"That's my library book!" She said proudly. "Mr. Shawn helped me find that one. I said I wanted one with a bear, like Daddy used to read to me."

"I remember this book from when I was a little girl." Camila said.

"Mr. Shawn said he read it when he was a little boy, too." Luna said. "He read it with me this morning."

Camila knew that was best, to help her with big words and sounds, but the mental image of Shawn reading with Luna made Camila feel a mix of things.

She was sad that it couldn't be Matt the way it should be, but she was also grateful that he was taking the time to do that for her, even if it was part of his job.

Camila still tried to call Matt, the way she'd promised. But no matter how many times she called, he never answered. She tried at different times—in the mornings, on her break at work, and in the evening, but the phone just rang and rang.

She wondered if maybe the number changed. She sent him another email, asking for his current number. She didn't know when to expect a response, if ever.

But luckily, Luna had been so excited about her sleepover that she almost completely forgot about Matt. At least, she wasn't asking Camila when he was coming anymore.

After over a week of Luna behaving at school, at home, and even at Camila's parents' house when they went for dinner, Camila knew they had to make good on their promise.

"How's Seth been doing?" Camila asked Shawn when she dropped Luna off at school halfway through the second week.

"Really good." Shawn said, sounding surprised. "He's not been fighting me at bedtime and he doesn't whine when I put spinach in his eggs. I mean, he doesn't eat it, but he doesn't whine either. I've never seen him be this good for this long. It's kinda scary."

"Then we have to let them have a sleepover." Camila said, smiling fondly at the sight of Luna and Seth coloring quietly.

"I guess you're right." Shawn said. "Okay, so here's what I'm thinking—Friday, I chase them around a lot at recess, get them really tired. Then at their sleepover, turn on a quiet movie, they get really sleepy and pass out at eight o'clock—there, sleepover is technically accomplished."

"What kinda lame sleepover is that?" Camila gasped.

"What, you'd do more?" He asked, smiling softly in amusement.

"Well, of course! It's their first sleepover! I want them to have fun. This is going to be an important childhood memory one day and no one wants to be the kid whose house is boring to sleepover at!"

"Wow, okay. I dig your enthusiasm." He chuckled. "So, what were you thinking?"

"Well, how about this—Saturday, I take them to the trampoline park where they can jump and play for however long they want. Then, we go for some ice cream, then back to my place where I make them some homemade dinner. Then, they can watch whatever movie they want with popcorn, then they're in bed by nine-thirty."