Chapter 27: "Don't fuck it up."

I feel anxious because the play is today. I was helping with the props with the others as I saw Joy coordinating with the committee. The teacher allowed us to skip the entire class to prepare the auditorium. She was stressed, nervous, and furious. She keeps walking back and forth a million times to scream at the people who screw up with her idea. It was killing me to see her stressed like this, but I knew she deserved the space she needed. She needs everything to be perfect.

"Harris, can you paint the window?" Joy ran towards me while she handed me the paint and the brush.

"It's not painted yet?" I asked her in disbelief.

"It's only 70 percent painted. Can you finish it? Please?" Joy pled as she gave me the puppy eyes. How can I deny those eyes?

"Consider it done," I smirked at her as I took the paint and the brush.

"You're the best!" Joy said happily as she returned to the others, "can you make that straighter?!" she shouted at some first-year student.

"That's what she said," I joked, and everyone around me laughed. Joy snapped her neck towards me. I looked down and continued with the props, "sorry..."

When I thought the props weren't fully painted was the worst thing that happened today until I heard the news about Lydia. My phone rang as I saw the caller ID. It was from Jessie. I answered it while I painted the window, "What's up?"

"Bad news. Bathroom. Now," Jessie said on the phone.

"On my way," I answered as I passed the task to some sophomore. He was only the only one available anyway, no harm on asking a favor.

I rushed to the nearest bathroom and found Jessie holding someone's hair in one of the booths, I approached them, and I saw Lydia throwing up on the toilet, "What happened?"

"I found her pale and sick in the hallway," Jessie spoke to me.

"I'm hungover. That's what happened," Lydia said before throwing up again.

"For God's sake, Lydia, you have a play!" I said as I ruffled my hair.

"Maggie is here, right? Just use her," Lydia said while leaning her back on the wall. Her lips were pale, and so was her face. Sweats started to form on her forehead, and her hair was disheveled.

"You can't stay here in the bathroom. We'll help you walk to the auditorium," I said to Lydia, and she agreed. There's no point in complaining when she looked like she was dying. Lydia cleaned herself first and drank Jessie's water bottle before going to the auditorium.

When the door opened, the first person to snap their neck at the door was Joy. She approached us with her eyes widened in shock. Confuse of what happened, "what happened to you, Lydia?"

"I'm so sorry," Lydia said sincerity. I think she is because she's the fakest person I've known.

"Maggie!" Joy screamed as she went backstage. Jessie and I settled Lydia on a couch. Thank God there's a couch randomly lying here, "Hugh! Help Maggie with her script because Lydia is not playing," Joy said as she glared at Lydia and went back outside.

"I'm just going to go and prepare the camera," Jessie spoke, and I responded with a nod.

I kneeled and watched Lydia while she closed her eyes, "you good? Do you need anything else?"

Lydia put her arm on her eyes and looked away, "I'm good, thank you."

I noticed the necklace she was wearing, "You wear it again. Why?"

"Wear what?" Lydia turned to face me in confusion.

"The necklace I gave you," I answered.

"I just feel like wearing it," she shrugged.