CHAPTER 35: CONFRONTING JADE

Esterpine

Claire reached Esterpine's center and the first thing she did was contact Koldis. "You are safe?" she asked. There was no telling if Jade had returned already, and if so, what she might have done believing Claire safely out of the picture.

"Of course...?" Her question had sparked Koldis's curiosity but instead he asked, "Will you be returning soon? Is your buisness with Taylynn completed?"

"I will, but there is something I must do first. And something I need you to do for me." She didn't tell him that she was already in Esterpine's center. Didn't tell him what Jade had done. Didn't tell him what she intended. "I need you and our entourage from Kastali Dun to tuck yourselves in your rooms in the palace—no questions asked. Seal yourselves in with whatever magic you can muster. Do not come out no matter what you hear. Not until I tell you otherwise. I will explain everything later." Her words stretched into silence. "Koldis, consider this an order from your queen."

A hesitation and then—"I do not like the sound of this, my queen."

"Do it."

"All right. We will do as you ask, but you owe me an explanation."

"You will have it. Soon."

She couldn't risk Koldis interfering. The moment he found out what Jade had done, he'd go ballistic, even if she ordered him to stand down. His recklessness could spark a war between the Drengr and the Sprites. She couldn't take that risk. This would be handled by her and her alone.

"Very well," he said at last.

She hesitated at the edge of Esterpine's center square, tucked just out of sight, hidden by shadows. When Koldis contacted her again to tell her that they had carried out her orders, that they were safely barricaded in their rooms, she moved out into the open, into the center of the square. There were a few Sprites milling about, but they didn't pay her much attention, hadn't noticed what she was carrying. Perhaps that was a good thing.

She breathed a long sigh, steeling her nerves for what came next. Closing her eyes, she slammed the butt of the staff into the ground and sent a wave of power sweeping through the city. "Jade!" she shouted, letting her magnified, roaring voice ride the current of power, summoning the queen to her.

The Sprites in view of her stopped and gaped, turning in her direction. She sent the call again. Sent another wave powerful enough it sent a few nearby Sprites staggering back.

"Claire?" came Koldis's voice. "What's going on? Why is your voice is sweeping through the palace?"

Good—it was working.

"Not now, Koldis. Do what I told you. Stay where you are until I tell you otherwise."

Sprites were gathering around her now. She sent out pulse after pulse, calling for Jade, compelling the queen to answer. Feowen appeared, wide eyed, Jeanine beside him; they were holding hands. Again and again she sent waves, shouting for Jade. Whispers grew louder.

Feowen dropped Jeanine's hand and stepped forward. Everyone in the crowd looked at him, as the prince and highest authority present. "Claire, what is—?"

"No! Stay back," she hissed. She lifted her staff and pointed it at him. A warning. He hesitated, eyes widening as he saw what she held. His throat bobbed. Jeanine grabbed his wrist and pulled him back beside her, giving Claire space.

She called once more for Jade, sending another wave of power out, and then the Sprite queen appeared. Her only show of surprise was in her eyes. The rest of her face was hard and angry. "What is the meaning—how dare you—?"