Chapter 20

It's been hard to talk to my dad lately, he is barely ever home these days and when he is, he acts as if he's on cloud nine. I know I should be happy for him, and I am — I'm happy that he's happy but... how do I tell him that his relationship might ruin mine? It would definitely come out as selfish.

It's been roughly a week since Daniella and I found out who Denise is and I still haven't talked to my dad about it, and now it might be a bit too late to do so — he has finally decided to introduce me to her, which means they are taking a step further into their relationship.

"Everything is going to be fine," Soph says, trying to reassure me as she locks the door to the store. "Maybe she's not what people think she is, you know how people like to make up rumors about others."

"I know, I've been trying not to think too much about it but Daniella is restless, and you can't really blame her — her job is at stake, again... and it's because of me, again," I sigh, resting my butt on the hood of my car.

"Anna, don't say that, it's not your fault," she says, giving my shoulder a light squeeze. "Has Dani gotten any luck finding new schools?"

"Not anywhere nearby," I answer, the dreadful feeling of having no escape crashing back in. "I feel terrible, she keeps sacrificing for the both of us and I can't even go up to my dad and tell him his new girlfriend is probably a homophobic bitch."

Soph furrows her eyebrows, trying to come up with a solution. "We can hide drugs in her bag—"

"Soph," I laugh, running a hand through my hair. "Let's not do that, I have to meet her first... then we think of something."

"Fine, but you better come back on Monday with all the juicy details... and let me know beforehand if we do need the— you know what," she says winking at me, very indiscreetly, as someone walks past us.

I simply roll my eyes, bidding her a quick goodbye before going on my way. I'd hate to be late for such an awaited moment — even though I'm no longer so excited about meeting her, if anything, I want to hide in my room and not have to face the possibility of losing Dani.

The table was already set when I came in, and I'm sure I've never seen this house so clean, not saying that it's dirty most of the time but living with a cat that thinks she's a Queen makes it hard to keep things on top of tables. At least for longer than 5 minutes.

"Where's Potato?" I ask, stopping at the kitchen door, watching him attempting to clean the mess he has made on the counter.

"Hello to you too," he raises his eyebrows.

"Hello, where's Potato?"

"She's upstairs, it's best if she stays there throughout the dinner, Denise has allergies," he says, glancing at the chicken inside the oven. "I spent a whole hour just vacuuming her fur off the couch."

I just stand there not really knowing what to say. "Is she on her way over? I'll go up and shower really quick."

"Go on, don't worry... Oh, Anna," He calls before I turn to leave. "Denise happens to work at Daniella's school, maybe it's best if we don't mention her for now."

"Oh," I say, pretending to be surprised by this new piece of information. "Do you think she'll get bothered by it?"

"Don't worry about that, go now before she comes," he says, playfully shooing me off, not really giving me a concrete answer to my question — which probably means Daniella is right.

The door to my room is closed when I go upstairs and I nearly have to throw myself to the ground to catch Potato before she runs away as I open the door. "I'm sorry baby, I don't like this either but it's only for tonight," I mumble as I hold her in my arms.