CHAPTER SEVEN: QUESTIONS

Nick has called three times by the time I wake up. It was a late night watching movies with Gemma, so I didn't wake up until 3.

I decide not to answer unless he calls a fourth time. It's not that I'm avoiding him, but I kind of am.

In all honesty, Nick is sketchy. He has friends he can't reach out to, secret roommates that I'm not allowed to meet and a lot of money.

I think that's why I don't push anything when he says something weird. I don't want it to affect my paycheck, and I also don't think it's any of my business.

I have things about my past that I hate to be brought up. People pushing me to tell them things is my biggest pet peeve.

Besides, I won't talk to Nick after this coding project. This is strictly business. I work for him, so it's really not my place to know everything about him.

The phone rings as I'm finishing up my cup of coffee. I sigh before answering it.

"Hello?"

"Hey, can you come over for the project?" Nick asks.

"Ask one of your friends." I roll my eyes. Being snuck out of a house when nothing happened is annoying, and I don't really want to endure that again.

"No, I need you to do it."

I think about all the red flags of his secrecy. "Tell me about whoever you hid me from."

It's a risk. He could take away the job opportunity, and I won't get paid. But I want to be safe at a random person's house.

He sighs. "He's my roommate."

"You said that. Why can't he see that I'm there?" My voice is pointed. It tells him that I'm not helping unless I know this one thing.

"Okay, we had this bet for something that we're working on, and I ended up not being able to dit," he explains.

"Why can't he help?"

"He's... busy," Nick says slowly, "and stubborn. And he won't let me live it down ever."

"Can't we just lie and say we're friends? No issue there, right?"

He stammers. "Well, he doesn't really like people coming over. It's not the safest with our job."

I laugh quietly before realizing he's serious. "Oh my god, what do you even do?"

"I can't say."

"Am I going to die?" I ask seriously. "I'm really leaning towards the mafia thing now."

"What mafia thing?" Nick asks.

"Not important." I wave it off, realizing I never made that theory vocal. "What's your roommate's name?"

"Cl-" he pauses, unsure if he should say it.

"Clyde?"

"Mhm," he hums a response.

I nod once to myself. I think Nick and Clyde seem okay. "When do you need me over there?" I ask after a moment.

_ _ _

I've been sitting at Nick's desk and searching through the code for half an hour now. It's the same thing as last night, and I can't think of a solution at all.

Finally I turn to Nick. He's been typing on his computer aggressively. His brows are knitted together, and he seems stressed.

It's 1:30. He said he needed the code by 3. I glance at the computer, wondering if it'll explode at 3 if the code isn't done.

His eyes glance up to mine with a hopeful expression. I just shrug. "I have no idea how to fix this."

He sighs before stretching his arms above his head and standing. He walks to the door. "Be right back."

And with that, he leaves me alone in his room.

AUTHOR'S NOTE:

we're finally going to meet clay boy in the next chapter ;)

have a great day!