━━━ PROLOGUE

o. prologue

            FOR A TEENAGE girl, the most important birthday was probably the sixteenth

            FOR A TEENAGE girl, the most important birthday was probably the sixteenth. It had been for Lia, even if she'd felt it would be like any other (it wasn't).

      They weren't the only ones who considered turning sixteen an important event, as other cultures also treasured this day for various reasons. For the fae, it was the day where they matured and started to grow into their powers, something Lia would soon become aware of.

      The night before the fifth of October, Cornelia hadn't had the slightest idea of that fact and had gone to bed full of excitement, struggling to fall asleep because of it.

      Her birthday party had been planned as a surprise by her father — that's why she knew about it, Bobby Finstock was terrible at keeping secrets; especially ones involving his daughter. Almost half the town had been invited, and not one of them was going to miss it. After all, Cornelia was the offspring of a man who was capable of making them attend, keeping them in fear of whatever consequences would follow if they didn't.

      Her alarm didn't wake her up the morning of her birthday, which was strange. She opened her eyes, confused at the sound of birds chirping. Her window was never left open at night.

      Glancing at her watch, she noticed there were only two minutes left before the alarm would go off. Great, she hadn't slept in then — even if it was her birthday, Lia still had school to go to.

      As she kicked the covers off of her body, she noticed a bird with pink-colored feathers sitting on her desk.

      "What—" she started to say and stopped as soon as she saw the whole picture.

      There was another one laying by the end of her bed, a bigger one on top of one of the shelves, and four on the window ledge. Pink, purple, blue, yellow and green birds, all species she had never seen before, and all inside of her room, singing like she was freaking Snow White.

      When they started to fly towards her, she fell out of her bed, making a horrible noise when she hit the floor. Screaming, she tried to get away by dragging herself over the floor until her back hit the wall.

Lia batted her arms in front of her to stop them from touching her, and what she saw then, made her let out another scream.

Her skin was covered in lines that hadn't been there when she'd gone to bed. Rose gold-colored swirls painted her arms from her forearms all the way up to her shoulders, making patterns that while beautiful, scared the shit out of her.

      Her father stumbled in swinging the door open, baseball bat in hand.

      "Lia, is everything—"

      He stopped himself, staring at her. The birds had perched themselves on her body while she stood still, looking at her tattoed arms with wide eyes. Slowly, she looked at her father, who let out a sigh.

"Your mother is going to hear me after this."

ren speaks! prologue done!!! thank you for reading, hope you liked this <33

ren speaks!
prologue done!!! thank you for reading, hope you liked this <33