Chatper Twenty-Eight: Dark Secrets

CIAO!!!

HAHA WOW I'M DROWNING IN WORK BUT I WANTED TO GET SOMETHING UP FOR MY SWEET KISSES. XOXO MOMMA.

SHOW ME SOME LOVE BY INTERACTING WITH THIS CHAPTER ANY WAY YOU CAN!!! VOTE, COMMENT, SPAM LUCIUS LA NOTTE!!! Let's get this story RANKED babayyyy.

 He knew. He had to know. I was so screwed.

Lucius practically tore the back door off the hinges and waited for me to get in the car. It seemed more like an act of assurance that I wouldn't run than an act of chivalry, as he slammed the door behind me so loud, I thought the window might break. While Lucius stalked around the back of the car to get to the passenger side, my eyes flicked to the driver. His hand tapped against the steering wheel to the low rock music playing.

Because the ceiling light was flicked on, I could see that like Lucius, the man's hand was covered in tattoo's. And when I looked up into the rearview mirror, two dark, cynical eyes met mine, and I had a feeling the scars didn't end there

"Better get your affairs in order, Romano," he said.

His voice had a rasp to it that matched those vicious scars.

On that terrifying note, Lucius got into the passenger seat beside me, his cologne permeating the air like a poison. Hot air expelled from the car vents, making me feel like I was being slowly cooked alive.

"Drive," Lucius growled. The guy with the scars had nothing on Lucius when his deep, intimidating voice was in full mafiosi mode. I sunk a little bit deeper into my seat, wishing I could blend into the leather.

Lucius said nothing as we left my campus. He just sat beside me this ringless hand resting on his thigh and his face turn toward the window. My whole body was rigid in fear. All of this time keeping this secret to myself, and it was out in the worst way possible. I couldn't take the silence, it was killing.

"Lucius —"

"Are you out of your fucking mind?" Lucius said, whipping his head toward me.

I just looked at him, horrified this was happening.

"I was about to board a plane," Lucius continued, "when the new bodyguard I hired to protect you, a very expensive bodyguard, mind you, called me and told me you tricked him into thinking you were in some group project room with a bunch of students, and you were gone. I called your home number and Gemma picked up. Needless to say, she was in hysterics."

I felt awful, it wasn't supposed to go down like this. "I didn't mean to make anyone worried. I was just––"

"I don't want to hear it," Lucius cut me off. "If you gave a shit what Gemma felt, you wouldn't be running away from your security."

Blinking past tears, I opened my purse to take out my phone and call her.

' "Don't bother, she already knows we found you," Lucius sneered. "I tracked you through your phone." He turned his head over his shoulder, his hazel eyes seething into me before he turned away. "What the fuck were you thinking, Korinna? Sneaking off like that just to go to a bar with Nick?"

My heart skipped a beat. He didn't know. Which meant he hadn't dug as much digging on Marcos Cafaro as I thought he had, or else he would have known we'd gone to the same private college together.

"Back up," the driver said. "Who the fuck is Nick?"

"A guy she's seeing," Lucius answered reluctantly, as I kept my mouth shut.

"I thought she just snuck out with friends," the driver said. "Since when is princess allowed to see other dudes?"

"She's not," Lucius answered.