30

"I don't know, would I?"

* * *

Jungkook's fingers shoved into his hair in frustration as he struggled to focus on the road, all thanks to the one woman in his life.

"I don't know. Would I?" He repeated to himself. A heavy sigh left his lips as he groaned, "What does that mean?"

It had been a rather arduous decision, one that he still couldn't believe he had made, to actually confess to her what he had been keeping inside for months—no—years. It was impulsive, completely unplanned, not at all proper by any means by Jungkook's standards but at that time, he just wanted to say it, get it out, and never be late again when luck had given him another chance. However, Ahn Heiran, like the cold-hearted woman she was, couldn't even give him a single straightforward answer. He shouldn't have been that surprised. Heiran hadn't changed in all these years.

He was the one who changed.

Still, she hadn't said a no. That meant something. He only hoped that one day, when the times were right, he could tell her everything.

The audio system in his car played out a tune as his phone rang. He looked to the screen on his dashboard and grinned at the familiar name that lit upon it.

Incoming call...

Prsctr Ahn Heiran. Ran
Mokpo-si, South Jeolla

"Hello, partner. Miss me already?" He sang with feigned confidence, though his heart raced at her name expectantly. Heavy breathing filled the car from the stereo, shaky and eerily unsettling. He furrowed his forehead, "Ahn?"

"Jungkook, can...can you please come over?"

Now if he weren't concerned by the way her low voice cracked, his heart would have certainly jumped right out of his chest at the request, but even before Heiran said anything, he felt his senses tingle forebodingly. Something wasn't right.

"Ahn, is everything okay?"

"I— I'm on the 3rd floor, apartment no. 301. Please."

"I'm turning the car back right now. Are you safe, Heiran? Are you hurt?" Jungkook inquired his mind playing out a jumble of horrendous scenarios of what might've happened for her to sound so breathless. The possibilities scared him and he pushed down on the gas pedal.

"I am... I'm fine."

She did not sound fine but she didn't sound like she had it in her to explain to him what was going on. He concluded there was only one way to find out as his car sped down back the way he came. "Stay on the phone, Heiran. I'm coming back right now."

_______
Note: If you're reading this story on any other platform other than Wattpad.com you're reading the plagiarized version of it illegally. Please exit the site and go to Wattpad.com to read the original free version of it to show support to the real author. Thank you.
_______

Jungkook ran up the emergency staircase to the third floor with all he had, all the while muttering reassurances to the person on the phone but her lack of response was scaring him to the core. He raced up the staircase, heart thundering in fear.

"Hey, I'm on the third floor. I'm here." His frantic eyes quickly located the apartment located at the far corner with a plaque that read 301 and he rushed to the door. Soon as he had reached it, the door swung open and Heiran stumbled out, her hand clutched to her heart. She hadn't seen where she was going and stumbled right into his chest. Heiran recognized him without having to look. Head buried in his shirt, her muffled voice reached him, "I'm sorry. Just give me five seconds and I'll—"