The Duke and I

One may say modesty is a virtue, yet this author is hardly a virtuous woman. It is therefore my great pleasure to announce the news others questioned, but I never doubted. The diamond of the season has made her match, officially betrothed to the Duke of Hastings. The bride, undoubtedly, is giddy with anticipation over the impending nuptials...an event that will apparently take place sooner rather than later. Of course, there are only two reasons to procure a special license and race to the altar: true love, or concealing a scandal.

"Thank you, Mrs. Wilson. Please let me know what else you will need for the flowers." Alina stated as she briskly walked out of the kitchens trying to memorize the long list of things that needed to be done for Daphne's wedding. That morning Violet was nothing but beams of happiness when it had been announced that Daphne and the duke would be married in three days. Alina had volunteered to help with the arrangements around the home so that the mother and daughter would spend as much time as they could with their own responsibilities.

"Alina, may I speak with you?" It took everything in her not to react, instead she turned the other way and sped down the hall. "Alina!" Anthony called again. She continued to ignore him as she made her rounds. She still refused to turn around and just by the sound of his voice, she could feel tears prick her eyes and it took everything she had not to allow them to fall.

"Ah, Alina there you are. Daphne and I are heading to the Modiste for her wedding gown, why don't we order you some new dresses as well?" Violet offered, stopping the young girl. However, once she saw the look on Alina's face, her smile fell for the first time that day. "My dear, what happened, are you alright?"

"Yes, I am quite alright. Just excited about the wedding. But I would love to go with you to get some fresh air." Violet nodded and extended her arm and soon enough the three women had made it down to the modiste and Daphne was the first one on to the podium.

"Your wedding gown is a long way from being finished, Miss Bridgerton. I promise you will not be disappointed." Genevieve stated as she worked on the hem of Daphne's gown.

"She will need a new pelisse too, and then the more intimate items Four nightdresses, perhaps? Or five?." Violet added casually.

"What could I possibly need with five new nightdresses?" Daphne asked and Alina wanted to smile at her innocence, however, her heart was still quite heavy.

"They are not for you, ma chere but for your amoureux. What else do you think a honeymoon is for?"

"It will be a most special time, dear." Violet soothed softly. "Yes, five. Five nightdresses will do nicely." Alina rolled her eyes as she spotted the Cowpers entering the shop and Alina took a seat in a chair behind Daphne and tuned out the world around her. Alina jumped once she felt a hand placed on her shoulder. "Alina, it is your turn to get measured." Alina nodded and stood from the chair and took her place before the mirror.

"I believe I already have your measurements, ma chere. Was I perhaps wrong in one of your dresses?" Genevieve asked, coming to her side with her tape.

"Not at all. Alina here is pregnant and we would like to get started on ordering some comfortable dresses." Violet informed happily. "My first grandchild, can you believe it?" Alina watched Genevieve's face in the mirror as she looked up in surprise before trying to mask her face into one of joy, however Alina could tell it was all fake.

"Very exciting news." Nothing else was said between the three and Alina could feel Genevieve giving her strange looks and looking down to her growing bump. She could not wait to get back home.

"Denied? What on earth for?" Daphne asked. She and Alina had returned from the modiste to the news that the special license for them to wed had been denied.