Chapter 92

No one could find the missing hybrids.

All the witches in their contacts had tried Locator Spells, given how important Hayley and Tyler were to all of them. They each came up empty handed. Hearing this, Hope offered to try one of her own.

Given what she'd witnessed with Henry's body being displayed in such an awful way, both of her parents tried to urge her not to 'overexert' herself. Hope, naturally, was as stubborn as both of them, and stated that she was going to try anyway.

"This can't be happening," she said. "It's not... working."

"It might be an entire coven that's cloaking them," said Klaus. "No singular witch is more powerful than Hope."

"What are we going to do?" asked Hope impatiently. "We have to find them!"

"We will find them, princess," said Maddy, trying her hardest to think of what they could possibly do. "I swear, we will. We'll start by questioning people. Someone has to know something."

In Tyler's case, questioning anyone was going to be very difficult. He'd been traveling alone, and aside from a few pit stops to put gas in his car, he hadn't interacted with any other people. No one knew where exactly he went missing, all Caroline could say was that at one point, when it had been more than an hour since his last text response, she tried to track him using Find My iPhone and he hadn't appeared.

With Hayley, things went only slightly better. They were able to narrow down where she'd been kidnapped from, and around what time. They placed it at just past four o'clock, in the alley behind Rousseau's. They checked the nearby cameras, and were able to catch Hayley entering the alley, but never emerging. The only problem was that no one else had entered behind her, which meant they had no leads on who the kidnapper was.

"Vincent and Marcel are questioning their communities," reported Maddy on a mass phone call with their family members. "Everyone not on the call is trying another Locator Spell on them, including Hope. Ansel and the wolves are searching the Quarter for any trace of Hayley's scent, but so far, they have nothing."

"It's been a whole day!" said Caroline weakly, her voice breaking. "Who knows what could have happened to them by now."

Maddy nodded sadly, closing her eyes. "I know, Caroline, and I'm sorry. We just have to wait for Marcel and Vincent to respond with anyone they deem suspicious."

"Alright," answered Damon. "Let's run through what we know. Day One, Hope turns Henry out of pity. Day Two, Henry gets punished and killed, Hayley disappears, Tyler disappears. Clearly, this person doesn't like hybrids."

"Marcel's entire community is anti-hybrid right now," said Maddy. "We'd need to do a head-dive on all of them to be safe."

"Then make it happen," suggested Damon. "String them all up and bleed them of vervain."

Klaus considered it. "You might be onto something. The only problem is that that would be quite inefficient. And messy. What we need is a suspect. We haven't the faintest idea who killed Henry Benoit. Elena's been searching the city cameras the entire day, but nothing has come up. We're not sure who strung him up on that balcony. I'd prefer we find that person, question them, and find out about all their associates instead of wasting time with a whole group of vampires."

"Not to mention," said Stefan reasonably from the other line, "that the vampires already hate the Mikaelsons enough. If you torture all of them at like that, given the majority may be innocent, then you're just gonna have a bigger problem on your hands."

Maddy assented. "He's right, we'd be declaring a war if we did that to all the vampires. Marcel knows his people, he'll know if someone is being suspicious."