Chapter Twenty-Nine

This would be the first time I would see Nate after the assault.

I talked a hell of a lot of shit for me to be here taking deep breaths with Alessandro. No, I wasn't scared. I think anyone would be a little anxious to see someone that killed their child. Even if he didn't know I was pregnant.

My hand was on Alessandro's heart, his breathing steady and me trying to imitate the same. "I'll be right behind you, okay?" I nodded, still taking deep breaths as he spoke. "I love you. Your so strong and beautiful and fearless, baby. I love you so much."

He kissed my hand repeatedly until my breathing was steady. "Okay, I'm ready." He nodded, pressing his lips against my forehead. I took my final deep breath as Brinda approached, looking like she wanted to crawl in a hole and die.

"Hey, Brinda." I smiled, walking up to her and hugging her.

"Hey, Mrs. Escarra." She pulled away with a smile.

"Your ready to be put on the stand, si?" She nods and takes a deep breath. "If you need a minute to prepare then take the time. We have ten minutes before we need to be in there." I smiled and she nodded again, going to sit at one of the benches.

I walked back over to Alessandro. "You look tired."

I rolled my eyes, "Thanks for being so uplifting. I thought I looked beautiful."

He smiled, "You look like the most beautiful tired person ever." I laughed, wrapping my arms around his arms while he placed his hands on my ass. "Is your tattoo healing well?"

"Yeah, probably should've gotten it later though." He didn't respond, seeming as if he was in a trance staring into my eyes. I smiled and his eyes fell down to my lips.

"The Judge is ready for you." I unwrapped my arms from around him, walking over to Brinda.

"Ready?"

"Ready." She nodded with a smile. I smiled back, taking my things up from the bench and walking in with Alessandro behind me.

My eyes instantly fell on Nate. He looked beat up, broken arm and wrist, swollen eye, broken nose, stitches in his forehead and lip. I knew Alessandro played a part in his appearance, he told me about before we arrived here. He also told me that that was only half of the beating he was going to get.

He sat right behind me while Brinda and I took a seat at our table. "All rise." The bailiff said and we all stood as the judge walked in. I had the perfect plan to get rid of Nate as a lawyer and thrown in jail.

We took a seat as the judge called, "Your witness." He nodded towards me and Brinda stood up, walking to the stand. It caused a bit of chatter in the bleachers but the judge quickly shut it down.

After swearing to tell the truth with a hand on the Bible, she was ready to be questioned. "When and why did you fall in love with the defendant?" I asked.

She laughed nervously, "I fell in love with him when he took me on a boat to the Caribbeans. I thought he was perfect, checked off everything I had on my list."

I nodded, standing up and walking to the stand. "When was the first time he hit you?"

"January 7th. I remember because we had just gotten back from a public event and I was complaining about how tiring it is to do that. He thought I was being ungrateful." Just like we discussed, she didn't look over at Zac while speaking.

"Did the defendant ever show any sign that he would harm your child during pregnancy?"

She shook her head, "It was doing the pregnancy that I didn't get hit. He was the sweetest person and that's why I chose to stay. One of the reasons."