Chapter 12 - Aftermath

Chaos. That was the state of Japan right now. From the attack on the sports festival, to the massive explosion of fire in Musutafu that decimated the forest around it, to the sudden end of it all, no one could make any sense of it. And damn, did they try.

"Casualty report?"

"137 civilians dead, nearly 700 injured. 6 heroes and 19 U.A. students died as well, along with 19 injured heroes and 93 injured students. If you don't count the reviving knight kid, that is."

"Ah, Izuku Midoriya, was it? What happened to that kid? He disappeared right before the darkness villain ran towards the explosion."

"Unknown. So far, we haven't been able to find him, but we're looking."

"Good. Now, principal Nezu, why was it you wanted me here?"

The detective and officer looked towards the small rat-dog at the head of the table. He sat silently for a moment, before speaking up.

"There are many reasons I brought you here, but I believe one stands out. Izuku Midoriya, who I believe to be the central figure of this entire debacle, even more so than the abyss knight."

"Eh? How so? Wasn't he just caught up in it while he was competing?"

"If only that was the case. No, the truth, from what I've gathered, is much worse than that. I believe that both the attack on the U.S.J., the classified version of the attack that is, and the sports festival attack were both caused indirectly by him."

"What are you on about, Nezu?"

"I will tell you what I know, but to know the whole truth, I suggest you find Izuku Midoriya as fast as possible, detective Tsukauchi."

Kiln Of The First Flame

"What the hell happened here..."

The once lush forest had been completely cleared away, burnt to ash and dust. The buildings around were demolished, and survivors were still being picked out of the rubble. At the center of the destruction stood a hill of ash, surrounded by claw-like protrusions of rock, with a brightly burning flame at the top of the hill.

And somewhere in the desolation, was an unconscious Izuku. The only reason they were there at all was due to the pleading of Ochako Uraraka. She was the only one who had any idea where to look, and she looked like her life depended on it.

"Cmon... cmon... where are you..."

She was digging so much that her fingers were beginning to bleed, scraped up by the tiny pieces of wood and rock in the ash. Still, she ignored the pain and kept digging.

She wasn't the only one looking, as several heroes and U.A. students dug through the ground with her. All of them together, quirks and all, could barely make a dent in the massive field of ash. Despite this, they just kept looking.

"Hey, what's this?"

The rest looked over to where Kirishima had yelled from. Sticking out from the ground was a massive, deteriorated sword. It had been corroded away, so much that an entire edge was completely gone, and looked like it was covered in pure darkness.

"Is... is that... the darkness villain's sword?"

The group collectively shuddered at the thought. If its sword was here, could it still be here?

"I'll take the sword with me. Better me than any of you."

As Aizawa pulled the gigantic sword out of the ground, straining under the weight of it, he noticed something. A glint of light in the dust. He set the sword back down, before reaching into the ash, and feeling something solid. He grabbed ahold of it, and pulled it up...