Chapter Three

We trailed the Luna for what felt like ages, crossing many marble halls and sets of winding staircases. My head spun as I tried to catalogue our path, any landmarks to assist my getting around here, but by the third staircase I gave up. This place, but simply, was a labyrinth of many layers; each one more beautiful and pristine than the last. To figure my way around here would be simply impossible. 

I found myself staring at the regal figure before me, very conscious not to step on the train of her elaborate pearly gown. Our pace finally slowed to a stroll when we turned yet another corner, revealing a stretch of intricate paintings and golden accent tables, littered with vases and other artefacts that demanded my attention.

"This is the east wing of the court," Luna Darla's voice floated towards us, like a faint melody riding upon a calm, summer wind. "Well -- many call it the guest's foyer. Most of our occupants live in the west and southern wings."

I took a moment to gaze at the woman. Everything about her was regal -- from the tone of her voice to the way she simply carried herself, pale blonde curls bobbing along as she held her head high and eyes forward. Watching her, something hard and sharp hit me in the chest. Luna Darla... she was a real Luna. Not just someone who had been thrown into a seat of power -- like me. Someone who had been nothing more than an admired accessory. No, she was different. She had a certain air about her, one that was gentle but assertive, one that invited attention without demanding it. She floated through these hallways like a goddess, gracing people with her grand presence wherever she went, as though this palace was second nature. As though this palace was her. Whereas I... I had still been a mere stranger, even back at the Southern Court. 

"Almost there," her voice chimed through my thoughts. We followed in silence as the hall broke into a small, circular lobby -- a break in the corridor that seemed to stretch on for as far as I could see. "This is the wing's lobby. You'll find this place to be empty most days because... well... we don't have many guests these days. So please, don't be afraid to loaf here in your spare time."

I glanced around the space. On our right purple velvet loveseats lined the circular walls, a golden side table and matching lamp spacing each one. Upon the walls many curved shelves sat, dusty books and forgotten titles wedged upon the cherry wood. On the wall opposite, large-paned windows allowed sunlight to spill over the tiles like blood, setting the white faux rug in the centre to a subtle gold. White and gold. Everything in this place was white and gold. It was a nice change from the dark and drab colours that were so abundant back at the Southern Court, colours of Azriel...

I pushed the thoughts from my mind as we continued ahead. Once we resumed the walk of the tight corridor, doors upon doors lining its wall, Luna Darla paused, turning towards us. A silence settled upon us -- not one of awkwardness, however. In fact, something told me such a thing couldn't exist in the presence of this woman. 

"I wish to show everyone their rooms individually, and give you a run-down of what shall happen in the upcoming weeks." She turned to me, an inviting smile taking root on her lips. It made me feel... safe, almost. Almost.

"Kyra, dear, I will show you your room first," she informed, her eyes flicking to the two standing behind me. "Do you mind if I take your friend into the room so we may talk privately, dears? Kyra and I have few matters to discuss."

I turned my head, locking eyes with the people behind me. Raina wore that same, unsure look she had been wearing for the entirety of the walk, glancing between me and the Luna. She must have seen the safety in the woman's face, too, for her shoulders relaxed a tad. She gave a slow nod. 

Azure, however, didn't seem so keen. I was surprised to see the steel in her eyes as she regarded the Luna, a distrust she didn't bother to mask. Her mouth was twisted at a sour angle, as though barely containing words that were itching to spill out -- accusations, insults, threats... I didn't know. Either way, I didn't want Azure to berate the only person here who'd showed human decency so far. The only person that we could probably, maybe, consider an ally. Maybe.