Chapter Seven

double update! don't forget to read chapter six before this one. also, trigger warning for a slight mention of abuse.

***

5 years ago

Leo smiled to himself as he finished packing the teddy bear, he didn't really do a good job with the gift wrap, but it would suffice. He had worked all summer helping the old man that lived down the street with his garden. With his saved up money, he got his younger sister a birthday present. She was turning four in a couple days.

"What do you have there, Leo?" Asked Mason, one of the older boys at the foster home. Leo turned around to look at the seventeen year old, who was with another of his cronies, Richie.

"Birthday gift for Maya," Leo answered. He had long learned that telling the older boys to mind their own business only pissed them off further.

"Show us," Mason stated.

"I just finished wrapping it," Leo frowned as he held the gift behind his back.

"Aw, he just finished wrapping it," Mason chuckled as he looked at the younger boy, who was now starting to get frustrated, "what's with the face, Leo? Someone getting a little angry?"

"Leave me alone," Leo snapped.

"No need to get so rude, Leo, we just wanna see what you got for your sister," Mason said as he reached forward to grab the gift, but Leo dodged, making Mason laugh again, "stop being so difficult, just give it to us."

"Fuck off!" Leo yelled.

"Leo!" Yelled a very familiar voice. The three boys turned towards the door to see their foster parent standing at the entrance, her arms folded in front of her chest as she stared at the fourteen year old.

"Mrs. Harper," all three of them greeted politely.

"You two," Mrs. Harper looked at the older boys, "out."

The two nodded before leaving the room. Leo was scared, Mrs. Harper wasn't exactly the kind mother figure one would want raising them. He would much rather be in a room with Mason and Richie than her.

"Those two are too old to learn, they're already a menace and cannot be taught manners now," Mrs Harper began, "but I've taught you better, haven't I, Leo?"

"Yes, Mrs. Harper," Leo said as he looked at the ground.

"Now what have I told you about language?" Mrs. Harper asked.

"Not to use any bad words."

"And what did I just hear you shouting?" Mrs. Harper raised a brow.

"I'm sorry, Mrs. Harper," Leo said.

"There are always consequences, Leo, an apology doesn't fix magically fix mistakes," Mrs. Harper paused, "you know what to do."

Leo nodded as he kept the gift on his bunk bed, before walking towards Mrs. Harper and raising his hand, he opened up his palm and closed his eyes, waiting for the ruler.

~~~

present time

"You've got to be cheating! How do you have three complete property sets!?" Kai groaned.

"Because you suck at strategising?" Roan retorted.

"No, I don't! Don't be an asshole!" Kai frowned.

"Hah! Dad said a bad word!" Maya spoke up.

"Very disappointing, dad," Roan shook his head in fake sorrow.

Leo subconsciously rubbed the palm of his hand as he watched the interaction. It was game night, and they were all playing monopoly. Leo wasn't one for board games, but he knew how much Maya loved them, so he always played along.