☔︎︎Chapter 40: Kareena ☔︎︎

May 16th 1965

May 16th 1965

Kareena when you were born, so was the man in me.

I remember the day your mother told me she was to have a child, my child. She had been in away in India for a few weeks to finalize her betrothal to another, but she was sent back to Czechoslovakia earlier than expected because her aunties has suspected her of relations. She told me her mother took one look at her, the illness that plagued her in the early mornings, the loss of monthly blood, the sudden change in appetite and development of her once slim figure and knew.

Your nani knew of your existence far before I did.

Your mother expected me to be displeased because you were indeed unexpected, but I was not. I always wanted to be a father, perhaps not as soon as I was but it was always a passion of mine. And so I welcomed you, my darling girl, my longest wish upon a star.

Despite my mother's disappointment, and despite my father's stern warning that children are the end of a man's life. You were the true beginning of mine. I recall playing you classical music when you were in your mother's womb, I thought perhaps it'd make you like me. I thought perhaps you'd grow to take an interest in the piano and violin, just like me. I recall all the foods you liked and all the ones you didn't, you hated potatoes Kareena.

I remember the day you were born, it was a spring morning, the sun had just crept up from the clouds. I remember your first cries, as I held you in my arms for the first time and you stopped- you looked at me like you knew me all along, you placed your miniature hand on my cheek and marvelled at the sight of me. And so we named you Kareena Ravi, Beloved sun. Because you are the sun, and you are so deeply adored by me and your mother. You are the light, the one who casts out all darkness, the reassurance in times of adversity. You are my greatest gift.

You look just like me Kareena, how incredibly fortunate, I happen to have generous genes. Your mother would disagree, she thinks it a pity for a young girl to look like her father.

I remember your first words, papa, your mother was furious, but you were always my very best friend, I think that she would've gotten used to it eventually. My mother despite everything, adored you and showered you with endless gifts and treasures.