Chapter XXVIII: One's true nature

In his perfectly square-shaped smartphone shop, behind his perfectly square-shaped counter table, sitting on a black rocking chair made out of leather, was the demon Typhon himself.

The master of illusion.

The very first demon who chose to live through peaceful lies over suffering through painful truths.

Here, between these four walls, Typhon was invincible.

The moment he knew he was going to be stuck on Earth for a very long time, after the War had abruptly ended, after the gates were permanently closed, he felt like his world had just ended.

He had never been so wrong.

Soon enough, humans were evolving rapidly, and technology took over the Earth. At the same time, crimes were rising, and Typhon's fellow demons busied themselves with the sight of blood, the thrill of ending lives, the happiness upon seeing their terrified faces. Family, wealth, women, sex, all those things stopped mattering when a human's life was on the line. Selfishness rose, and they were reduced to the primate creatures they used to be, greedy, cowards, merciless. The other demons, quite like Agiel, wanted to see that, and devoted their time on Earth for that single hobby.

Typhon never quite understood them. He never wanted to hurt anybody, not physically.

As it came in his nature, he shared the same feeling about exposing humans' deepest fears, about figuring out what scares them the most, about discovering what really mattered to them, and what they were ready to risk their lives for.

So Typhon had a genius idea: what was a better way to lure in humans than a shiny smartphone shop in the middle of a crowded city such as Shibuya?

As soon as he opened it, humans came flooding in, attracted by the lights, but also entranced by a little magic he performed around the entrance. Most clients who came were empty shells. Most humans only cared about material things, just like the puny mortal creatures they were. They couldn't pass the tests he gave them, and they were stuck in his world for quite a long time, until he got bored and released them.

To most humans, feelings like love didn't matter. Faith, trust, courage, teamwork, sacrifice for the greater good, those were all words. Ink on paper. Meaningless scribble in the endless book that told a tale of humanity, a tale that was supposed to be real, alas it was very much more of a dream than anything else.

An ideal fantasy.

Typhon came to believe in the fragility of the human conscience, and little by little, his heart hardened, the ones who entered his shop never came back to their families, for he stopped releasing them, letting their souls wander in a lake made out of regrets. A lake where time stopped, where the undead weren't allowed to cross over, bathing forever in the water of their own sins.

Typhon was beginning to get used to all these deaths. Seeing their terrified faces, exposing them for who they really were no longer thrilled him. They were all fake, and fake was getting a little boring.

The other demons would call him a coward, they would tell him he wasn't brave enough to lift an actual sword and see real blood spilling. Perhaps he was, or perhaps he simply wished to be able to reverse things, the moment he met someone who would change the very core of his beliefs.

He never thought that someone would appear at his doorstep in the form of a young teenage girl with pixie ocean-dyed hair and honey-gleaming eyes full of a mixture of fear and hope. Or a boy with smooth white skin and a doll-like expression on his face, colorless eyes and midnight hair, darker than black.