Chapter 8: Collaboration

Song of the chapter: Dancing in the moonlight by Toploader

- - -

Marinette is smiling widely as she waits for Adrien to open the door. 

Her feet are tapping excitedly as well as impatiently and the sound of her shoes hitting the ground echoes softly through the hallway.

When the blonde opens the door, Marinette can't help herself from flinging her arms around Adrien and she hugs him closely.

The latter laughs softly at the girl's enthusiasm and returns the embrace without hesitation.

"You are in a good mood." He notices after he has pulled away and can see her face clearly.

Marinette immediately walks inside his apartment and stalls her reply until she is seated on the couch. "I guess I've had a great day. At school in art class, my professor had invited someone to look at my work, and let's just say he was impressed." She smiles brightly.

Adrien sits down next to the girl on the couch. "Wow, that's amazing Mari! Who is the person that is interested?" He asks.

"Jagged Stone," she says with a breath making the name sound heavenly out of her mouth. "I'm such a huge fan and now he wants me, a simple girl, to design his merch!"

Adrien gasps and embraces Marinette once again. He is really happy for the girl and he can't contain his excitement either anymore.

"I'm so proud of you." He whispers in her ear while he's hugging her close to his chest. "I just know that you'll be famous later."

Marinette giggles. "Thank you, Adri, but you will be too."

Adrien looks at her with a confused expression, which makes Marinette roll her eyes. "I want you to help, dummy."

He gasps when he hears this and this time he jumps on her instead of simply embracing her. "You're kidding right?" He almost yells making Marinette laugh.

"No, I'm not! You're an amazing designer, Adrien, and I couldn't possibly do all of this by myself."

Small tears are now escaping Adrien's eyes, partly of happiness but also of sadness.

When Marinette feels the cold salty liquid on her skin, she pushes Adrien off to look at his face. "What's wrong? Aren't you happy?"

Adrien chuckles in between his tears. "Of course I am. This is a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity. It's just..." He trails off and takes a deep breath before continuing. "It's just that you are the only one who seems to finally see me. My father always loathed my designs and it always seemed like he looked right through me. But you... You see me for what I am, you don't judge me, you appreciate me." He smiles softly even though the tears are streaming over his face.

Marinette is now also tearing up. "Of course, I see you for you. Adri, you're amazing. I think that a lot more people will love you when they get to know you and I know that he's your father and you maybe can't see it, but your dad is an asshole. You deserve so much better." She says, cupping Adrien's cheek into her small hand.

The blonde leans into her touch like a lost stray kitten and he melts into her soft embrace after Marinette has pulled him against her chest. "You just have to see how amazing you are, Adrien."

He smiles in response. "You really want me to help you?"

Marinette smiles while running her hands through his golden locks. "Of course I want you to help. I definitely can't do it alone and you're one of the best designers I know. Besides, I love spending time with you and this is a great way to do so, right?"