7: Until I Met You

Chapter 7

When I walked through the door of our house that night, I rushed upstairs and stripped myself of my wet clothing. A soaking wet skirt and tight tank top weren’t exactly comfortable to wear, so I decided to change out of my soaking clothes and slip into a pair of pajamas I had just bought.

Since I didn’t exactly know we were moving here until our car pulled into the driveway, I simply packed up all of my clothes, which didn’t include all that much summer clothes. A couple days after we arrived I had gone shopping with my mom to get a bunch of clothes that I could wear here, and I loved some of the pajamas that had ended up in my shopping bags.

Before pulling on a pair of thin polka dot pajama shorts and a baggy white t-shirt, I jumped into the shower quickly to scrub off all of the chlorine that had soaked into my skin and hair when Cason threw me into the pool.

Once I was dressed, I decided to go downstairs and find my mom. I knew she probably had some questions floating around in her head about Cason, and I just wanted to set her straight.

Heading downstairs I found my mom under a thin blanket on the sofa with the television turned onto a re-run of Gilmore Girls.

“You have room for one more?” I asked as I nodded down to the empty seat beside her on the couch.

My mom, turning her gaze away from the TV, smiled at me and nodded, lifting her blanket up slightly so I could slide underneath it with her.

For the first couple of minutes we just sat there quietly and watched the events of the re-run play out however, once a commercial came on my mom reached for the remote and muted the television.

 "So honey, how did you like dinner tonight?” my mom asked with a nervous smile.

I rested my head against the back of the couch as I turned my head to look at her. “Well, Diana is really nice and she’s an amazing cook. The meal was delicious.”  I replied with as much honesty as I could, telling her what she wanted to hear.

“Now, how did you find the night excluding the food?” she asked, giving me a pointed look that told me she knew what I was trying to do.

I sighed. “Honestly mom, it was kind of awkward.” I replied before continuing. “At some points I could talk to Cason and he wouldn’t tease me, but other time, like when he threw me in the pool and when he told you we were friends, it seemed as though he was just looking for ways to push my buttons. I’ve barely even spoken to him at all besides the odd word or two in English, and then tonight he just started to piss me off without any reason.”

After I had finished my explanation, my mom let out a slight chuckle as she brought her arms around me in a comforting hug. “You know, they always say that boys make fun of girls and tease them when they want to hide their true feelings.” she stated in a motherly voice, although her tone also seemed to be laced with an ounce of amusement.

Pulling back slightly, I raising my eyebrows at my mother’s ludicrous idea.  “I’m pretty sure they say that when they boy and girl are both in kindergarten or primary school, not high school mom.” I replied dryly.