Epilogue: 2

Three more to go guys.
This one is a lot.
Brace yourselves.

____________________

Hermione
7 months later

"Swallow! Swallow! Swall..."

Draco's hands cover her ears to block out the chant from the men chugging butterbeer behind them, but not in time. She closes her eyes and braces her hands on the edge of the table as he whispers the silencing charm around them.

Hermione counts in her head until the panic subsides and the ringing pain in her head dissipates.

The images of Dolohov above her, forcing her mouth open and repeating those words, begin to fade into the calm blackness.

She needs the other her to go away. Representative Musser just became free for a discussion for the first time in over two hours since the wedding reception began.

But the switch is lasting longer again. She has noticed. Draco has noticed. Theo has noticed. She tries to hide the distress as quickly as she can to make it less obvious.

They were doing everything they could. And even though it may be worse, she could live with it.

She could.

She has to.

A vial is pressed into her hand, and she opens her eyes to smile over at him. Not until she swallows does he take his hands off the side of her face, rubbing her hairline back and forth with his thumb.

"Thank you."

"Do you want to go?"

She rolls her eyes as the calming draught warms her blood and makes her body feel relaxed. She turns back around to see another ministry official already in deep conversation with the man she had been trying to get a meeting with for over a month.

Damn it, I can't miss out on this opportunity.

"For the third time, we are not going until the bride and groom do. No matter how uncomfortable you and Theo are."

He huffs in annoyance as he taps his finger against the table, never taking his eyes off the three photographers in the tent.

One catches his glare and sneers as he raises his camera in challenge. The photographer's eyes turn to her, and even though she knows the only thing she is doing is making the situation worse, she leans up and kisses Draco on the cheek just as the camera flashes.

Because I don't care, Draco.
I don't care at all.

"What are you doing?" He leans back out of her touch as his eyes widen.

She shrugs her shoulders and pulls his resisting hand into her own.

"Loving you. The more they see us, the less of an issue it will be."

"No, Granger, it won't. The more they see us, the more unrest it will create."

"That'll change soon after I am done..."

"Can we not discuss this again right now?" He bites out.

Her hands ball into fists at his icy tone. Wanting to challenge him as that fire builds inside her. But this isn't the time for that argument... again.

Hermione glances back at the representative and starts digging in her bag for the transactions and manuscript of chapter 62. She had sent the man 13 owls with a letter asking for a meeting, but she never received any notice back. The man was busy; everyone on her team at work knew that. Draco's hand is on her wrist as soon as she finds the parchment and begins pulling it out.