CHAPTER 88. Killed In One Try

"Raven, I'm sorry," Aaron repeated when I didn't say anything right away, my eyes watching trees go by as he drove.

"You didn't make them say those things," I mumbled, all my excitement for going out having fizzled away. Now I just wanted to go to bed, preferably with the puppies Joe was trying to potty train.

Silence. There was a long bout of silence between us. It wasn't awkward, more sad, at least on my part. Were all of his pack going to be like that?

"Aaron..." I held the seatbelt tightly, biting the inside of my cheek anxiously. "Do you think less of me? Because of the vampires?" I asked, voice a mere whisper.

"Oh Raven," Aaron glanced over at me as he drove, but I focused my gaze on my hands holding the seat belt. "Not anymore,"

Pain flooded through me. "But you did, I knew it," I said weakly.

Aaron held the wheel with one hand and grabbed my left hand with the other. "Raven, that was when we first met- who wasn't going to be upset that their mate was already with men? Vampires on top of that? I'm fine with it now- almost glad for it even." Aaron told me firmly. "We all have our flaws, but I think nothing but the best of you,"

"Okay... I'm sorry," I told him, lifting my head to look out the window on my side again. Aaron gently squeezed my hand.

"You have nothing to be sorry for, my pack members should be sorry." Aaron said, tone growing cold as he spoke of the wolves. "But even as disrespectful as they were, think from their perspective."

I nodded as he parked in front of a group of trees, a clearing behind it before it turned into thick forest. "Is this where it happened?" I asked softly, seeing his friends were already on the scene. "Why are you even looking into it personally?"

Aaron glanced at me. "Yes, this is where it happened, and I wouldn't be looking myself, but you're here, and you can see things we can't."

I nodded at his friends. "Do they normally look into this kind of stuff? Murders?"

Aaron nodded. "When it's on our land, yes," I nodded yet again, mind flooded with questions.

"The language, it's a demon language isn't it, are they always evil?" I asked, clicking various things together to come to that conclusion.

Aaron nodded and unbuckled yes. "It is a demon language, but not all of them are evil, only the insane kind. The demons that live here on earth with us have a human shape, and I happen to have a good friend that is a demon."

I nodded, but didn't quite understand. I was going to take that as, the ones who aren't on earth are evil, and the ones on earth look human and are nice.

I hesitantly unbuckled, not sure what I was going to get into while being surrounded by his pack all of today. Hopefully tomorrow we could spend some real time together.

I ducked under a tree branch and paused, forgetting the werewolves beside caution tape as I caught sight of the body. "How long has he been here?" I asked Aaron beside me.

"A little over twenty four hours, the police came by, but we insisted a little more time before they took the body." Aaron told me. I nodded and bent down curiously.

Red angry marks, like swirls and scratches all along his skin, but if a focused, I could make out words.

"You said you can read it, what does it say?" Cael asked, looking down at me as I gazed at the poor young man who had died.

"It's almost like he just have done it himself, the words," I reached out, fingers stopping just short of touching him. "The words a cry for help, almost like... like they were his last thoughts or something. I don't know,"