Chapter 94

Hope was in shock.

Maddy didn't even know what to say to her. Elena had quickly lifted her up, coaxing her to the car while Maddy stood over Greta's body, horrified at her own actions.

"Leave the body, love," said Klaus, massaging her shoulders. "I will have someone else come to clean up the mess."

"Oh my god," she whispered, her eyes wide. "Nik... she saw... she just watched me rip her apart..."

"I know," he replied quietly. Trying to diffuse the tension, he threw out what he thought was a funny quip, "I always thought it would be me that she'd accidentally witness flying into a rage."

She didn't find this amusing. "What if I traumatized her?" she whispered. "What... what if she starts to have nightmares because of me?"

Klaus didn't know what to say about that. Hope knew all about who her parents had been before they had her. She'd heard the horror stories floating around about both of them (most of them being about Klaus, but a few telling tales about the bloodthirsty Salvatores). Maddy didn't exactly wish to forget who she'd been before becoming a mother, but she also had never wanted to revert to that pattern she had of snapping at random instants. She considered herself to be more controlled and calm than the average vampire, but that all changed the instant someone crossed the line and posed any threat to her family.

Apparently, Hope's biggest worry wasn't even the fact that she'd just seen her mother kill Greta in the most violent way possible. She was angry with Anita for having snitched.

When the couple got to the car, the two girls were yelling at each other. They resorted to getting separate vehicles, because they didn't have space for everyone either way. Maddy went ahead with Tyler and Hayley to a hospital, so they could get some blood bags and also have their injuries examined by Jo. Klaus took Hope home, and Elijah, Elena, and Anita followed after them.

"How are you feeling?" Maddy asked them, once they'd drank so much blood, they likely felt bloated from it. Tyler's eye had indeed healed. Hayley's birthmark was back, though it looked perhaps a bit more faded than before.

"I'm okay," murmured Hayley. "Feels good to be out of there. They had us full of wolfsbane and vervain. They were going to kill us. When Hope arrived... I had a heart attack. Not literally, but I might as well have. They were going to bind us all then force us to die... you arrived just in time."

"I am so sorry we couldn't find you sooner," whispered Maddy. "You were cloaked and we couldn't break past it."

Tyler just shrugged. "Not your fault. You tried. These people... they're strong. There must have been twenty of them that ambushed me after they crashed into my car. I was slightly weakened and then they all shot at me with stakes laced in wolfsbane."

"Thirteen attacked me," mused Hayley. "They came from the rooftops... I didn't stand a chance. There's a lot of them. But Greta was the only one we spoke to."

"She got what she deserved," muttered Maddy before turning away. "I've called Jackson and Caroline, they'll be on their way. Jo suggested you both take some time to rest... take a vacation or something, because after what you went through..."

"We can't do that," said Tyler firmly. "Not until these people are gone. If they hurt us, and were going to hurt Hope, they won't stop there. They'll go after the wolves next."

Hayley assented. "We're staying. Our vacation can come after we've buried all of those bastards in shallow graves. The only question is how do we find all of them."

"Yeah," said Maddy dejectedly. "I was too quick to kill Greta. If I'd just hesitated..." she closed her eyes tightly. "We could have gotten information out of her. And Hope wouldn't have had to see me let loose."