Chapter 34

It's only been a few hours since the Aiharas had left along with the doctor, while Kenma's mother stayed behind. And now she's helping you make dinner as Suki and Kenma are in their rooms.

It feels like it's been a while since you were left with Kenma's mother alone. You remembered the last time you were with her and it was just the two of you, she was talking about Suki's birth mother. And you remembered the question she asked you that night.

What does being a mother means to you.

It was a question that you had answered honestly, even though you have never pondered that kind of question before. Your answer came out certainly, almost instinctively. And now when you think about it, you were still someone who is only bound by a contract to take care of someone's kid. But now, there are no contracts binding you and Kenma, just the promises and declarations of love exchange to one another.

"I'm happy for you two," Kenma's mother spoke, breaking the silence lingering in the kitchen as you looked at her. "You know, I was worried for him."

"About what, Keina-san?" you asked and you saw her smile lightly, almost sadly as she averted her gaze down before she continued.

"About the fact that Kenma might not be able to find the person whom he will settle with until he grows old just because he's carrying the responsibility of taking care of his sister's daughter."

True to her worries, there were instances that single parents find it hard to find a person who will accept not only them but also their children. It's not that you're generalizing things, but there were instances when you've seen it yourself.

And there's also the part where the parent can't help but worry about whether their kid is in good hands. Fairy tales had always portrayed evil step-mothers, but that doesn't mean it doesn't happen in real life.

The fact that you're one of the few who had accepted a man who is bound by the responsibility of being a father, even to a kid who wasn't his, had made Keina released her worries about her son's future. If only she can take care of Suki herself, but she's not getting any younger.

"I haven't had the proper chance to thank you, Y/n." She looked back at you and offered you a smile less sad than earlier. "Thank you."

"Keina-san, no, thank you," you said. "For bringing such wonderful people into this world and for taking care of them."

She brought them into this world, yes, but it's you who are now by their side more than she ever will. Because time is constantly moving forward and she's not getting any younger. She's just glad that in the next couple of decades, Kenma and Suki wouldn't be alone.